Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

University Optics 25mm vs TV 27mm Panoptic

Started by hknytych, 02/23/2005 08:23AM
Posted 02/23/2005 08:23AM Opening Post
Anybody have direct experience with these two EP? I've been thinking of a 27mm Panoptic, but I ran into a retailer with a 25mm UO. Apparently it has a 70 degree FOV, and the eye relief looks pretty good.

Opinions?
Posted 02/23/2005 11:46AM #1
Howard, I personally have the 25mm UO MK-70, as I also have the 40mm one...

I love both eyepieces, and for the money you spend on them I think they are a great buy..., but for what I've heard the Panoptics have a Flatter FOV, that means that your stars won't start to show a "kidney bean" effect as they reach the outer edges of the eyepiece... (more noticeable in faster scopes)

Hope this helps, and clear skies! wink

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 02/23/2005 01:54PM #2
>>>Anybody have direct experience with these two EP? I've been thinking of a 27mm Panoptic, but I ran into a retailer with a 25mm UO. Apparently it has a 70 degree FOV, and the eye relief looks pretty good.

Opinions?
---

My understanding is that it depends on the scope you will be using it in. In a slow scope the UO will probably be pretty decent. The Panoptic will probably be pretty decent in just about any scope, fast or slow...

jon
Posted 02/25/2005 09:21AM #3
Everyone,

Thanks for your input. My 18" dob is f/4.5, and I use a paracorr. From what several of you are saying, the performance of the UO 25mm might might be an issue. At $195 though, it has a definte price advantage over the TV Panoptic. The retailer's a pretty good guy who will work with his customers. I think I can talk him into letting me try it out first.

FWIW, on each side of that 25-27mm range, I have a 17mm Nagler and a 32mm Celestron, plus in 1.25" a 26mm Meade and a 32mm TV plossl. So actually I'm in no great hurry to purchase anything.