Moon Snapshot with Starmaster 11 "Shorty"

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

When the Eyepiece Finally Dies...

Started by wpaolini, 09/18/2006 07:20AM
Posted 09/18/2006 07:20AM Opening Post
OK. Regardless of what any of us may "desire," the writing is on the wall and one day the eyepiece will be something of the past era. Granted we may be several decades away from that reality, but it is coming.

Let's assume it is here and our scope are standard with electronic observing gadgets. So if you were to keep JUST ONE of your personal eyepieces on display as novel artifacts of a time gone by, what would they be?

Me...If I hadn't sold it it would have been my 1st premium eyepiece that I purchased when they 1st hit the market in the 80's, the nice compact powerful newcomer, the 4.8mm Nagler Smoothside. Mostly not because of it's performance, but because of my history with it and the industry's.

Otherwise, from, my current inventory I'd keep the 24mm TV Wide Field for the same reasons as I got it with the 4.8 I let go.
Posted 09/18/2006 11:13AM #1
What would I keep?

I'll be long dead, as I should be.

I have no desire to live in a world where there is no longer a use for my eyepieces.

-Chuck
Posted 09/18/2006 11:35AM | Edited 09/18/2006 11:36AM #2
William, if that time comes, and I'm to keep ONLY ONE of my eyepieces as a SOUVENIR... it would be my Meade 4000 14mm UWA... 8) (a great eyepiece and a weapon at the same time...) wink

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 09/19/2006 05:42PM #3
...I'll be cruising the eyepiece graveyards with a shovel wink

Ed Moran
Equipment Forum Moderator - Two of Five