HOA Blues.... :(

Started by eafrica, 09/11/2006 07:33PM
Posted 09/11/2006 07:33PM Opening Post
You might remember a post from me a couple weeks ago about me studying building an observatory. Well, I just called our HOA, and they claim that "no outside buildings are allowed". Sigh. sad

I need to dig up that mailing that I got where the amendment was stated allowing for outside buildings. Maybe I didn't word my question correctly?

The lady did say that one way to make sure would be to go ahead and submit an application stating exactly what I'm planning on building. FWIW, I held off on stating what I'm building - I simply said "a shed".

Thanks for reading....
Eric
Posted 09/11/2006 07:41PM | Edited 09/11/2006 07:42PM #1
Enrico, they might not like the idea of a SHED, but if you show them that this will not be a REGULAR SHED, but an OBSERVATORY, then they might change their minds... 8)

Show them pics of already built Observatories, how they look, how they work, they might get interested and let you build one... wink

I know it worked with my HOA... 8)

Question:
Is the area where this will be built, fenced? will it be visible from the outside?

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 09/11/2006 10:25PM #2
Here's a chance to use your Photoshop skills.
Get a pretty picture of a structure similar to what you want to build and paste it onto a picture of your back yard.
Present that to the association and call it something other than a shed (a word which can be used to descibe some run-down structures sometimes). 'Cottage' usually gives people a warm feeling. Call it a 'yard cottage'.
I built my observatory using the same 'architectural language' as my house (see attached photo).
I wanted it to blend in and not attract attention.

dan

Attached Image:

dan  kowall's attachment for post 107110
Posted 09/12/2006 05:05AM | Edited 09/12/2006 05:08AM #3
It's probably a matter of figuring out what your HOA will allow and making an observatory that could play the part. I wonder if you could convert a legally registered full-sized van, VW camper van, old RV, trailer, or commercial vehicle into an observatory. wink Or maybe some kind of BBQ pit could disguise a pedestal mount and telescope?

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 09/12/2006 09:02PM #4
Hi Enrico,

Just out of curiosity, what is HOA?

Cheers,

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.