My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re. Flip off roof observatory

Started by MZUKO, 04/08/2002 11:59PM
Posted 04/08/2002 11:59PM Opening Post
Hi,

I am exploring all options for a small backyard observatory. I am leaning towards a roll off roof, but was wondering what else is available. Does anyone have any sources for a flip off roof observatory? I figure the roof could be sectioned and flip off in the desired viewing direction.

Marc Zukoff
Posted 10/11/2006 01:17PM #1
Hi Marc,

Here's my flip top.

http://themartainhouse.blogspot.com

Alan
[email protected]
Posted 10/11/2006 01:58PM #2
If you don't need an observatory, but just a permanently mounted scope, you can just build a roll off shelter--the whole shelter rolls off. Mine is about four feet long, two feet wide, and eight feet tall--just enough to hold the pier and scope. When I want to use it, I open the door, and roll it off.

When I want to observe or photograph, I have to carry out my eyepieces, camera, computer. And I am out in the open with the scope, rather than behind some walls. I still have to plug in the computer/scope electronics--a step I could avoid if I had a regular observatory. Otherwise I have the advantages of a permanently mounted, aligned, scope, no cool down worries (due to the walls of the observatory), and a minimum of space and materials devoted to the operation.

Alex