Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Alt-AZ Mounts

Started by Hans Tucker, 01/10/2007 09:31AM
Posted 01/10/2007 09:31AM Opening Post
Whilst my FS-78 is away at Takahashi getting repaired I am now looking at purchasing an non-equatorial style mount for use with the FS-78. I already have an NJP and anyone can conclude this is an overkill for a 78mm scope. So I need something quick and easy to set up. I have looked at the DiscMount DM-6 & I guess the DM-4 and these look great but the company isn't really set up for International Customers, I prefer and have always paid via Credit Card and now PayPal which is much simpler than Money Order or Cheque. So anyone can suggest other brands and styles of non-equatorial mounts that I should look at. I have also looked at the Tele Optics (APM) Giro 2 Deluxe but looks like the XXL is no longer available which would have allowed me to also mount my Mewlon 250. Plus the APM website doesn't appear user friendly. So any other suggestions please.
Posted 01/10/2007 03:34PM #1
Hans-
Don't underestimate the capacity of the standard Giro II mount (that I bought fomr Markus/APM). I've had a Mewlon 250 on one arm of my Giro II and an AP 155 on the other at the same time. Movement was smooth on both axes. I had the mount on an AP wood tripod and vibrations at high powers were minimal (and the electric focuser of the M250 avoids focuser-induced vibrations).

I have a Modified Teegul on a Berlebach Uni-15 tripod that I use for smaller scopes. The Teegul would make a great match for your FS-78 or even something a bit larger.

Charlie
Posted 01/10/2007 06:14PM #2
My DiscMount 6 is the best alt az mount that I've ever used. That said, you may want to check out Universal Astronomics' line of mounts. I have their heavy duty and microstar versions and both are very solid and smooth.
Posted 02/11/2007 04:06AM #3
Another option: a Lapides modified Takahashi Teegul mount

Attached Image:

Adolfojose's attachment for post 111515