Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

crazy idea

Started by Tom Baty, 06/22/2010 07:13PM
Posted 06/22/2010 07:13PM | Edited 06/22/2010 07:15PM Opening Post
Maybe this is dumb, or maybe not. Why doesn't someone manufacture a battery unit that can be used as a counterweight for an EQ mount. A round battery with a hole in the middle and a lock on one end to replace your regular weights. No tripping over cables in the dark, all in one unit so you can leave it on the mount and you are ready to go. Any rate it is just an idea (Patent is not pending...give me one and we will call it even)

Tom
Posted 06/22/2010 09:34PM #1
I've also wondered about using batteries for counterweights. One less heavy item to cart around. You could probably make one from a pair of 12V 17AH gel cells -- make yourself a battery carrier to hold both with the Dec shaft up the middle -- with an appropriate sized set of bushings and lock screw. No reason it needs to be round.

I suppose when the battery becomes exhausted you are no worse off than if you had a conventional counter weight -- just connect a standard battery as backup.

If you managed to drop the thing, you'd have a bit more of a mess -- battery acid -- but probably not too bad with a gel cell. Dropping a conventional counterweight is destructive, too.