Imaging mount

Started by dan janosick, 08/06/2011 12:12PM
Posted 08/06/2011 12:12PM Opening Post
Hi everyone
I am looking for guidance from advanced imagers as to what you feel if the best but most cost effective mount. The mount needs to support ~55 pounds worth of equipment. I am not opposed to buying used and would like to hear the pros and cons. I would need The mount to be a GOTO and the mount would be permanently mounted in an observatory.
Dan.
Posted 08/06/2011 04:32PM #1
HI Dan,
AP900, AP1200 would be great. Typical Go-To controller, excellent PE out of the box, very well made.

Mountain Instruments MI-250, Losmandy Titan would also be great. Gemini system, more like using DOS with sub-dirs and such. Both have excellent mechanics, Good to Excellent PE and are rated for 80+ lbs instrument load.

Paramount ME/MX are great mounts. Good Go-To using The Sky software. Excellent PE and no problem with the 55 lbs.

New, always good but more expensive. Used, with a good mount not a problem and you can save substantial money if you find the deal. I have purchased 4 used mounts and each has been great, three were like brand new when I got them. Saved a lot and got extras

This is my MI-250, very nice mount and cost used is about $5000 with a portable pier. Could be less without a pier.

Attached Image:

fblue's attachment for post 141503

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager