MACH1 - What do you get

Started by Hans Tucker, 12/18/2009 06:43AM
Posted 12/18/2009 06:43AM Opening Post
G'day All,

I came across the Anacortes ad for the Mach 1 mount and was wondering what do you get for your $5950.00. I know you don't get a complete mount and that you have to spend a bit of extra $$$'s for counter-weights, tripod etc.
Toying with the idea of getting a lighter mount and the Mach 1 looks like an ideal choice, just doing the maths to see what more I have to spend to get a complete mount

Also, before someone points out the obvious..yes I know you have to go on a waiting list and yes I know that I cannot buy from Anacortes because I live outside CONUS.

Cheers,

Hans
Posted 12/18/2009 03:30PM | Edited 12/18/2009 03:46PM #1
Hans Tucker said:

G'day All,

I came across the Anacortes ad for the Mach 1 mount and was wondering what do you get for your $5950.00. I know you don't get a complete mount and that you have to spend a bit of extra $$$'s for counter-weights, tripod etc.
Toying with the idea of getting a lighter mount and the Mach 1 looks like an ideal choice, just doing the maths to see what more I have to spend to get a complete mount

Also, before someone points out the obvious..yes I know you have to go on a waiting list and yes I know that I cannot buy from Anacortes because I live outside CONUS.

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans:

With a Mach 1, you don't get counterweights, a tripod or the top mounting dovetail clamp. These items are sold by Astro-Physics and other vendors too. I am using a Robin Casady Dovetail Saddle with mine. A large assortment of stainless steel hardware came with the mount, to attach whatever mounting plate works for your telescope. Also, the top of the Dec axis has a wide range of threaded holes to work with just about anything.

I bought appropriate counterweights for my system from AP. I also use mine on a homemade pier, so I bought a pier adapter from AP.

The Mach 1 is expensive. Mine has absolutely enabled me to move to a "next level" of astrophotography though. I have just started using CCD Commander and The Sky software to image multiple targets all night long. The Mach 1 is one thing that I do not have to worry about at all. I am pretty sure that the wait time for mounts is very short too. I think A-P is selling some mounts from stock.

Jim