Image of the day

Captured by
Pete Eliason

Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

C80 ED Spotting scope...AND THEN SOME!!!

Started by T.R., 12/09/2005 02:12AM
Posted 12/09/2005 02:12AM Opening Post
I started this first light report in the celestron section this morning, but moved here for more on tonights session. Iam not easliy impressed, but this scope has inspired me!
Tonight after sunset I was going to do a quick session again just to confirm the scope was fine, but ten minutes turned into two hours in 10 degree weather!!!
First I hit Venus for color eval, beautiful cresant no chromatic aberation up to 150x. Very high contrast. No color on the moon at 157x lots of detail.
Mars amazed me for this aperature! 125x looking good with maria seen, 157X better detail, hellas and north polar hood, I pushed 200X and still excellent! The maria turned mottled slightly, I couldnt believe the power this booger would take. There was a slight purple fringe off the planet edge, but I had to look for it, not a distraction.I have a celestron ST80 I would not try this with, but I believe the scope can go higher! The seeing crapped out and clouds rolled quickly in but I'm convinced without a star test this scope is a keeper. Pin point stars, nice wide fields( started with the sisters and the double-double ). With this planetary detail I have to believe the star test will be acceptable.
I cant believe that celestron markets this as a "spotting scope"!? I've seen more color in my old genesis than this puppy. Get the word out, ITS A STEAL!!! Anyone considering a high dollar apo, consider this or any of the latest offerings, I think the lens quality has caught up. This is my grab and go now! Wow, I want to use it more than the TEC just to see what it can do!!! grin
Posted 12/09/2005 06:34PM #1
Tim: It sounds quite intreguing. This scope and its' brother, the Orion ED-80 really stirred up the small refractor market.

How did you like the focuser?

Jon