My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New technology from Lockheed

Started by Mike Damato, 01/17/2006 08:45PM
Posted 01/17/2006 08:45PM Opening Post
Hi all,

Is this technical announcement of any interest? Or has this topic already been covered here in the past? It is from the official magazine of the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE)

>>>>quoted text:

Researchers at Lockheed Missiles and Space Company (Palo Alto, CA) have developed an optical color correction technology that will enable optical designers to create high-performance camera lenses and telescope optics with superior color correction and very high resolution at greatly reduced costs. The technology, which uses liquids to replace some lens elements, was devised by the Optical Design Lab at Lockheed's Palo Alto Research Labs. It is now available for license.

>>>end quoted text

Here's a link to the rest of the announcement (It's not really long enough to qualify as an "article"). I wonder if anyone knows more about it.

http://www.spie.org/web/oer/july/lockheed.html

Thanks,

Mike
Posted 01/17/2006 08:54PM #1
It has been known for about 10 - 15 years. Unfortunately, liquids have exceedingly high expansion co-efficients, so would have real problems under changing temperature conditions. This is the major drawback.

Roland christen
Posted 01/17/2006 10:58PM | Edited 01/18/2006 03:54PM #2
I work for Lockheed Martin here in Florida, and for as long as I have been with the company, I have not heard of this. It was probably designed for use in optical targeting systems, or in space based optical equipment where the temperature would be more stable. It also may have just been experimental, and never went any further. Who knows? It can't be that new of technology though, because Lockheed hasn't used that logo for years.

Clear Skies