NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Orion ED100 fix

Started by gjcarter, 10/20/2005 10:54PM
Posted 10/20/2005 10:54PM Opening Post
I recently purchased an Orion ED100 and after a night of evaluation I determined there was a problem. As it happens the spacers between the elements are visible in the FOV. A quick note to Orion's technical support confirms this and they are willing to either have me send it in or, at my option, open it up and move them back in the appropriate position. Being the typical "male-child" I'm not adverse to taking things apart and putting them together again (hopefully) - it's kind of challenging. But this assumes one has the willingness and the proper tools, which brings me to the question....

Where do I find a spanner wrench of the appropriate size to dissasemble the lens assembly?

-Gary
    There is only one constant in our infinite universe; it is change.
    D&G 8” f/15, AP178 f/9, C11, C8, ED80, TV-85, TV101&102, SW120ED, 6"Cave f/8, Solarmax 40, ES127MC,
    DM-6, Losmandy Titan 50 GEQ, G11, AP800, ES Twilight-1, UA Unistar Deluxe, WO EZ-Touch, 
    Denk BVs, 7x50 Fujinons, 10x50 Nikons, 15x70 Astrophysics, 16x70 Fujinons, 22x100 Oberwerks, 
    Sim Picheloup CPT, Canon 40D, 60Da, Vixen Polarie, SXV-H9, DMK 41AU02, DBK 21AU618, 
    Shelyak Lhires Lite Spectroscope, Rainbow Optics Spectroscope, Field Tested Systems RSPEC,
    Vice Chair, Southwest Region of the Astronomical League (SWRAL)
    President Emeritus, Historian, AL Awards Coordinator, Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas (TAS)
    Member/Volunteer, 3RF Comanche Springs Astronomy Campus (CSAC)
    ALCOR, Advisor to the Board, Texas Star Party (TSP)
    NASA-JPL Solar System Ambassador Volunteer (SSA)
Posted 10/20/2005 11:41PM | Edited 10/20/2005 11:48PM #1
If you have a professional/specialty or fine tools retailer in your area, they may carry proper spanners. (I've never found any at Ace, Sears, Depot, or Lowe's.) Unfortunately, good spanners aren't cheap. If such a retailer isn't available, your best bet would be to borrow one, buy one online, make your own, or use a substitute tool (I keep an old compass around for this very purpose).

The cell assembly on my Stellarvue 80 is very similar to that of the ED100, and in my case, the retaining ring was not at all difficult to remove (with care, of course). Your own thumbnail might actually provide enough strength to start the ring on its way. If one slot doesn't work, try the opposite one. If neither slot cooperates, and a little more force is needed, try a small flathead screwdriver (or, better yet, a bit of copper or brass -- perhaps a section of tubing or thin pipe) and gently/firmly push against the slot-set blade along a tangent. Once the ring starts, put the driver/tube/pipe away and finish with a thumbnail or toothpick.

If the ring remains very stubborn, and you're worried about gouging or scratching, then a proper spanner may be your safest option.

Cheers & best wishes.
-Dan
Posted 10/20/2005 11:55PM #2
I recently purchased an Orion ED100 and after a night of evaluation I determined there was a problem. As it happens the spacers between the elements are visible in the FOV.
------------
Under what situation are they visable? Through the eyepiece or just looking through the scope?

jon
Posted 10/21/2005 04:38AM #3
Bob,

Sage advice, however, I find dealing with UPS is a losing proposition under most circumstances. When the ED100 arrived it had seen some pretty tough handling. Apparently dropped on-end it had broken through the styrofoam packing on the focuser end of the OTA and was working its way through the inner box.

I've had to return several other items I've mail ordered due to their incompetence - in one instance we cycled equipment no less than three times (on the last round I finally convinced the manufacturer to send me a replacement case so I could repair the damage myself. Luckily the case made the trip).

Besides, the lense will likely need to be cleaned at some point and I might as well learn how to handle this before I buy that $10,000 OTA, eh? grin (OW! 8O Honey! I was just joking!!!)

-Gary
    D&G 8” f/15, AP178 f/9, C11, C8, ED80, TV-85, TV101&102, SW120ED, 6"Cave f/8, Solarmax 40, ES127MC,
    DM-6, Losmandy Titan 50 GEQ, G11, AP800, ES Twilight-1, UA Unistar Deluxe, WO EZ-Touch, 
    Denk BVs, 7x50 Fujinons, 10x50 Nikons, 15x70 Astrophysics, 16x70 Fujinons, 22x100 Oberwerks, 
    Sim Picheloup CPT, Canon 40D, 60Da, Vixen Polarie, SXV-H9, DMK 41AU02, DBK 21AU618, 
    Shelyak Lhires Lite Spectroscope, Rainbow Optics Spectroscope, Field Tested Systems RSPEC,
    President Emeritus, Historian, AL Awards Coordinator, Texas Astronomical Society of Dallas (TAS)
Posted 10/21/2005 05:13AM #4
Ya gotta be nuts worrying about this. Leave the spacers alone. Nevertheless, if your Y-chromosome demands that you tinker with this, I suggest the following.

Get use of a drill press. Measure the slots or holes you want the pins to fit into. Get two drill bits with a diamater slightly smaller than the measured slots/holes. Get any scrap of aluminum 1/4" or thicker. Drill two holes spaced for the ring you want to remove. Insert the drill bits in the holes, shank down, to enough depth that you can clear the cell collar your ring screws into. Use masking tape on the flute ends to secure the drill bits. Insert and twist. If this doesn't work, you can't ask any commercial outfit to fix it under warrenty.
Posted 10/21/2005 12:24PM #5
Suggestion: Send it back and let them fix their screw-up....Not that I am saying you would, but, if you screw it up, then you have bought it...if they screw it up, you get a new scope. They will pay for shipping both ways...win-win for you...good luck.
------

That was my thought as well. I remember reading that Roland C. said the alignment on APO scopes is signficantly more critical than on an Achromat so getting it collimated might not quite be so easy.

Jon
Posted 10/21/2005 03:58PM #6
If the spacers are not where they are supposed to be I would have two concerns:

1) The spacers are not all equal distant from the centre of the lens and are creating a wedge in the airspace. A wedge is not good in any lens, particularily bad in an APO.

2) If the spacers aren't where they are supposed to be the lens never rec'd proper QA or the spacers have moved since assembly. If the spacers have moved, they will move again.

Either way, I would want the scope properly serviced to ensure continued reliable performance.

good luck,
dan
Posted 10/21/2005 06:38PM #7
Gary Carter said:

I recently purchased an Orion ED100 and after a night of evaluation I determined there was a problem. As it happens the spacers between the elements are visible in the FOV. A quick note to Orion's technical support confirms this and they are willing to either have me send it in or, at my option, open it up and move them back in the appropriate position. Being the typical "male-child" I'm not adverse to taking things apart and putting them together again (hopefully) - it's kind of challenging. But this assumes one has the willingness and the proper tools, which brings me to the question....

Where do I find a spanner wrench of the appropriate size to dissasemble the lens assembly?

A concern I'd have with working on it myself is the rotational alignment of the lens elements may be important to getting the best performance from the lens.

Posted 10/21/2005 07:40PM | Edited 10/21/2005 10:54PM #8
I'd suggest getting a quality adjustable spanner from
Edmund Sci for $70 such as
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1457&search=1
If you like taking things apart, it will quickly pay
for itself in un-damaged rings and lenses.

Be aware that the three lens spacers need to be exactly
the same thickness. In most designs I've seen, you
will get a ton of on-axis coma if they are not.
The chance of moving them without damaging at
least one spacer (stretch, kink, etc.) is not great.
You will likely need to replace all three with
something of similar thickness.
Posted 11/10/2005 03:48AM #9
After considering all your kind advice, putting the Y chromosomes in check, I elected to contact Orion about sending it back. The interesting part about it was an initial runaround I got from Orion about the warranty return policy. Gary Pierson of Anacortes quickly addressed this with them and it was all neatly arranged including the shipping. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Gary