Re: SV102DN or ORION ED80

Started by gk, 12/23/2003 03:20AM
Posted 12/23/2003 03:20AM Opening Post
I am thinking of buying my first refractor and would like some help from people who have "Been there, done that", and or regretted their past descisions. If you had to do it over again with 2000.00 to burn, want to put it on a televue tripod and have sky tour on it or is there cheaper alternatives to sky tour? Thanks -GK-
Posted 12/23/2003 01:58PM #1
Hi Georges,

I told you once and I'll tell you again, buy the apo. In the same relative aperture class no achro is going to be as good as an apo. Been there done that! The mechanics on the premium achro might be the best in the world but I would suggest that in a telescope, optics are of higher importance than mechanics. I side by side tested my two 4" apos against an optically nice Synta 150mm f8. The fours walked all over it. The Fluorite I own was bought off A-Mart from Tim Terry for $1410 shipped and I mounted it on an Orion SVP with drives. That's less than $1800 total. The SV focuser is probably much better than the Vixen but optically there is no comparison. If you can afford the apo your choice should be very easy.

Clear Skies,

Steve
Posted 12/23/2003 04:09PM #2
Is the $2000 for the scope and mount together or just the scope. If its for just the scope, buy a 4" premium APO and you'll never regret it. They are optically excellent, easily portable scopes. That last point is very important because a scope that is easy to set up will get used a lot.

I have a Televue Gibraltor mount and really like it for portability. The tradeoff is that it is not the most stable mount for really high powers.

An entirely different option would be to purchase an 8" or 10" Orion dob with the new digital setting circles. I understand that those scopes, particularly the 8" are fairly portable, are quite stable, plus they offer digital setting circles at half the cost of the Sky Tour system.
Posted 12/23/2003 04:51PM #3
If I had to do it over again, I'd spend more and get a 102 That said, I did get an 85 APO, and it was worth every penny to have no false color distracting from a great view. Can't comment on the SV other than I've got one of their APOs and am extremely pleased. Out of my three scopes, it gets the most use. I've become an apo addict.

I've read great reviews of the SV102DN, but haven't looked through one.

I've been hearing complaints about the quality control of the Orion 80ED, so maybe if you wait until the excitment dies down, the factory pace may slow and quality may be more assured.
Posted 12/24/2003 07:36PM #4
Hi Mike,

Georges posted on another forum asking "the best 102mm under $2000." Many people responded to him including me. Now he's got the nerve to seem offended that I mentioned the cost of a scope that I own. I don't give a damn about the price of others toys and I'm not offended by people that spend a great deal of money on their passions or pursuits. Anyone who is should grow up. The mechanics on all of the premium scopes are very good, some are better than others. If you have two Gs to spend why would you even be looking at any Synta scope in the first place? Some people just want a response that uniformly fits their preconceived notions. Nobody who suggests a scope to Georges or anyone else is trying to do anything but help them. If the response isn't all that you wanted you say thanks or nothing and move on, not act like an ass. I've had 20+ scopes and I spend a great deal of time observing and I never offer advice on a topic that I have no first hand knowledge about. Mechanics are important but any scope in the $700 dollar and up range is going to most likely have good mechanics to start with. I won't comment on TV mounts because I've never used one. Too many people respond to others with anecdotal evidence or with information that they read but have no way of confirming. I've been there and done that when it comes to apo vs achro and can honestly say that if it's in your budget the apo is far and away much better way to go. .

Clear Skies,

Steve
Posted 12/25/2003 05:07AM #5
Now we are both making some progress! I really want to thank you for going out of your way to explain these issues with me. All it took was a little coaxing to get the nice little green man inside of you out. You HAVE been alot of help and I will most likely go with a TV85 or SV85APO and try to get a Losmondy mount used. Does that sound like a good investment to you? I will remember this interaction since it will be the reason for me probably saving thousands of dollars and you will be the reason for that. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done and try not to fall on your 4th point of contact.

Merry Christmas Steve

P.S. You really owned 20 scopes and are still married?

GK>OUT