Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

scratches in mirror surface

Started by zengalaxy, 05/29/2004 07:39PM
Posted 05/29/2004 07:39PM Opening Post
I need advice about a diagonal that I purchased which has tiny scratches on the coating that appears to have been caused by fine particles trapped in cotton packing which rubbed against the surface over a long time probably by taking mirror out and replacing in box.
Question is: Will recoating eliminate the fine scratches? I can not tell if scratches are any deeper than the coating so I'm mostly looking for examples of when you have sent off mirrors with scratches where they still there when mirror was returned.
thanks,
Posted 05/29/2004 08:00PM #1
Aluminizing will enhance any surface damage of the glass. Can you tell if the scratches go beyond the coating? Shine a flashlight from behind (if the back is clear) and see what the damage looks like. If the scratches dont go through coating, get it re coated. Secondary's are cheap enough. Check out L&L's price list: http://www.llopt.com/as.html
If it was me, I would remove the coating to look see. Did you buy it in this condition? Just wondering. BTW, is this a diagonal for a SCT or a dob? I'm guessing dob. If it's for a SCT, don't know what to tell you. Maybe compare with another diagonal in the scope and see just what kind of difference there is. Good luck