NGC7293 Helix Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

buying tips

Started by shoff535, 08/17/2005 03:00AM
Posted 08/17/2005 03:00AM Opening Post
when buying a used scope (I realize "buyer beware") what are some things to look for, or ask? I would be buying one (a refractor) from either a "remote" location where it would be shipped to me before I see it; or, if I see one and it really isnt possible to set it up and give it a test run. how can I reduce the risks of being taken?
thanks,
Steve
Posted 08/17/2005 04:08AM #1
First and foremost buy from somebody reputable. Make sure there is a money back guarantee. If the seller is honest, there will be.
Second be aware of the scope you are getting, IE Brand, aperture, type(achro or apo) and limitations of the type.
If you buy a solid brand scope from a reputable person or place, you should get exactly what you pay for. If not send it back.

Real men play Golf
Posted 08/18/2005 08:43PM #2
If you ever buy something off the "most popular" auction site, make sure that the person has 99% or better feedback and has a long trail of successful sales. Look at any negative feedback ...and the feedback on the person who left the seller negative feedback. This should help in identifying potential deadbeats.

I have also found that in buying old computer junk that anything not specifically mentioned in the item description is probably broken. For example, if you buy from an ad for an old laptop that doesn't mention the hard-drive, you'll probably get a computer with a broken hard-drive.

You can also help minimize your risk by buying insurance from the auction site and the shipper. Personally, I'd be a little afraid to buy a truly high dollar item from an online auction. If an item gets into the hundreds or thousands of dollars, I'd be pretty nervous.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]