cleaning eyepieces

Started by ghacker, 05/11/2006 07:56AM
Posted 05/11/2006 07:56AM Opening Post
Just purchased my first scope, a 10" XTi from a forum member. Don't have a problem yet, but with my 4 and 9 yr. olds looking through the scope I expect it won't be long.

How do you clean the eyepieces of oil, dirt, etc.? I know you can't use commercial window cleaners. Did a search for "Cleaning eyepieces" and didn't come up with a lot. Also didn't find anything in "Beginners" under reviews.

Any advice is appreciated.
Posted 05/11/2006 10:16AM #1
Hi Dennis:

Some random thoughts and comments to get you started:

1. I use the method that Al Nagler of TeleVue recommends.

http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=143

2. When cleaning any optical surface, the first step is to carefully dust the surface. This is the most important step.

3. Some people use the LensPen, I have used the LensPen but I just don't trust it...

4. Cleaning a mirror is more difficult because the coating is much softer and therefore more easily damaged. Your XT-10 does have a dust cap on the focuser end but not on the mirror end. I keep both ends covered, I use a shower cap on the mirror end, a shower cap or big plastic bag on the focuser end. The focuser itself is not perfectly sealed. Other available covers are not always as impervious to dust as they may seem so these days I use waterproof materials only.

5. It is necessary to clean eyepieces and even mirrors but avoiding finger prints and keeping the eyepieces capped and in a sealed dust free environment helps avoid unnecessary cleaning.

Hope this helps...

Jon
Posted 05/14/2006 07:38PM | Edited 05/14/2006 07:39PM #2
Dennis, you can access a plethora of earlier discussions by doing a "forum search".
I don't like the lens pen idea, because you're contaminating the tip and then reusing it over and over again.
Whatever you use should be used once and thrown away.
Zeiss makes single-wrapped lens cloths, which are available at Wal-Mart's optical dept.
Linton
Posted 05/18/2006 07:18AM #3
Thanks everyone for your advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Using something disposable sounds like a smart idea. I'll try the Q-tips with a disposable lens cloth as a backup. (Floyd, do you know the supplier for the lens cloth you mentioned?)

FYI, I just bought a waterproof case for the eyepieces and misc. equipment I'm acquiring. My plan is to keep the eyepieces in the case with caps on unless I'm actually using one so moisture/dirt shouldn't be a problem, even in storage.