Image of the day

Captured by
Chris Elkins

CME during Totality

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Factors to consider-FOV, exit pupil, f/?

Started by ghacker, 03/11/2006 02:30AM
Posted 03/11/2006 02:30AM Opening Post
Looking at purchasing either a ETX-125 or an Orion 8-10" dob(Already purchased one ETX scope, but sending it back for reasons unrelated to this discussion.).

Now I know that many of you will extoll the virtues of the Orion and it definately has a lot going for it. But for sake of discussion, try to be unbaised.

The two scopes are considerably different. One has a 1900mm focal length, the other 1200. One is around f/15, the other f/5. My question is this: What does this mean in practical terms to someone who doesn't yet understand all the physics?

Does one factor lend greater resolution than the other? What is the impact on eye relief (correct term?) or how far do you have to get to the eyepiece to see the whole view. (Some of the users wear glasses.) Does the lower f/number mean better contrast? What other things should I be asking, but don't even know about?

I guess what I'm seeking is a discussion about how the various numbers quoted in ads translate into practical considerations. Like, lower f/stops mean more light gathering ability so you can see deeper.

I've read some of the explanations on different sites, but I must be getting overwhelmed with all the technical details because when I'm done I don't understand all that much more than when I started.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that can benefit from such a discussion. Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Posted 03/11/2006 04:46AM #1
I'll make it simple for you. The three most important factors to consider in deciding on a telescope are: aperture, aperture, and aperture (not necessarily in that order).

I don't care if it's an Orion 125 mm Mak and a Meade 10" Dob, aperture is the determining factor in light gathering (not f-ratio) and in resolution.

I think the term you are looking for is exit pupil rather than eye relief, but both are parameters of specific eyepieces, not telescopes. Having said that, a smaller focal ratio will produce a greater exit pupil in an eyepiece, but I digress from what you want to focus on in your decision (the "a" word).

Longer telescope focal lengths limit the field of view available in a given eyepiece. As a result, the Mak is not only limited in aperture, but also in field of view! I am not trying to trash the Mak; it's a good design, highly portable, and can give sharp views, but it does lose some contrast due to the large central obstruction. It can make a great second or third scope, but is too limited to be your main scope.

To sum it up, get the largest aperture scope you can afford, that you can still physically handle and transport to your observing site without so much hassle that it prevents you from using it.

Hugh Bartlett

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 03/11/2006 06:11AM #2
All things being equal, the scope with the largest aperture will give you the most resolution. It will also gather the most light. Both these factors are critical.

A Mak, like the ETX is good for its specialty: A small, portable, scope with lots of magnification.

However, you will find that specialty is over-rated, except when looking at some solar system objects. ANd when portability is an issue.

Therefore, I usually recommend an 8 inch Dob as the starter scope. It gives a lot of aperture for the dollar. It is hard to outgrow it. (Yes, you can buy bigger aperture, but you'll always want a versatile eight incher around.)

Don't get caught up in the physics. Most of the things you are talking about can be adjusted by changing eyepieces.

Alex
Posted 03/11/2006 01:47PM #3
>>>The two scopes are considerably different. One has a 1900mm focal length, the other 1200. One is around f/15, the other f/5. My question is this: What does this mean in practical terms to someone who doesn't yet understand all the physics?

Does one factor lend greater resolution than the other? What is the impact on eye relief (correct term?) or how far do you have to get to the eyepiece to see the whole view. (Some of the users wear glasses.) Does the lower f/number mean better contrast? What other things should I be asking, but don't even know about?
-----

Dennis:

You asked some good questions and I think I can answer them in practical terms. I have owned an ETX-125, I own a GSO 10 inch F5 DOB similar to the XT-10 and did own a XT-8...

In practical terms the most important factors to consider are the amount of light a scope captures, the scopes resolution and the scopes maximum field of view. The more light a scope captures, the brighter the image, the better the resolution, the better the detail, the larger the field of view, the easier it will be to find targets and the larger targets one can see.

In each case, the advantage goes to the Orion Dobsonian.

The size of the mirror determines the amount of light a scope gathers. In this case the ORion XT-10 will capture 4 times as much light and therefore at any given magnification will be 4 times as bright. (This corresponds to a factor an exit pupil that is twice as large). This is a huge advantage and means that you will be able to see about 1.5 magnitudes deeper. It is particularly important when looking for faint targets like galaxies and nebulas but even on bright targets like Saturn and Jupiter, it allows the use of higher magnification.

The difference between the ETX-125 and a 10 inch DOB on DSOs is big. Stuff one can barely see in the MAK can be bright and obvious is the larger scope.

Resolution is a direct function of aperture. A scope with a mirror that is twice as big will have twice the possible resolution. This means the XT-10, under ideal conditions is capable of resolving more detail on planets and splitting tighter double stars.

In practical terms, resolution is often limited by the "seeing" ie atmospheric condition so a large scope may not always be able to take advantage of the potential for better resolution. But, comparing the views on Jupiter, the XT-10 would be brighter and sharper in any event.

The field of view is related to two things: The focal length and the eyepiece format. A long focal length limits the possible field of view and 1.25 inch eyepieces are limited in comparision to the larger 2 inch format.

What this means is that the XT-10 with its 1200mm focal length and 2 inch focuser is capable of views of greater than 2 degrees, enough to see the Pleiades for example, while the ETX-125 is limited to about 0.84 degres, about 1.6 times the diameter of the moon.

----------

As an ex-owner of an ETX-125 and as someone who has helped first timers with ETX-125's I literally CRINGE every time I see someone like yourself considering the ETX-125.

The 1900mm focal length combined with that 5 inch aperture and a 1.25 inch focuser means that this scope is really only capable of relatively dim images at high magnifications, just the wrong thing for a first scope.

Yes, it is not bad for Jupiter or Saturn but looking for Deep Sky Objects, scanning the Milky Way, well it is disappointing. Also, this scope is dependent upon its GOTO because fo these limitations...

In comparison, the XT-10 is capable of bright images, widefield images and bright high magnification views of planets that are filled with detail. With a 2 inch eyepiece, finding targets is not difficult.

--------

In the past few years, in my wanderings as a solidary observer I have had the opportunity to help several first timers who bought ETX=125s. Most always they are having some trouble getting the GOTO working and frustrated. My normal travel scope is that 10 inch F5 DOB to a person, first time ETX-125 owners are impressed with the views through the 10 inch...

-------

There are some things to be aware of when considering any reflector, be it a MAK or Newtonian.

1. Thermal equilibrium. The scopes must cool down to give the sharpest views. Because of the open design of the XT-10, it will probably cool faster than the MAK.

2. Collimation. All scopes must be collimated. MAKs like the ETX-125 normally hold their collimation quite well but re-collimation requires a trip to the factory.

Newtonians normally require a check and may an adjustment of collimation before each use. It does require some skill but a Newtonian can be fully collimated by the user.

Eyepiece Astigmatism: Faster scopes are harder on eyepieces because the steep "light cone" must be brought to a point. In an F5 scope like the ORion XT-10 this generally means that the edge of the field of view may not be sharp.

----------------

Bottom line here....

I have spent close to an hour writing this...

Why I have I taken this amount of time??

Because as an ex-owner of an ETX-125, I would hate to see you spend your hard earned money on this scope only to be disappointed by the views.

Though it is often sold as a beginners scope, it is really a single purpose scope, (high magnification) best used by someone who is experienced and is knows that is all they want.

Five inch scopes can be great first scopes, no doubt in my mind about that, but one needs to choose a scope with a more reasonable focal length and hopefully one with a 2 inch focuser.

Jon Isaacs

Posted 03/12/2006 11:11AM | Edited 03/12/2006 11:13AM #4
<< But for sake of discussion, try to be unbaised.>>

=======

: )

It has been my experience as well, with these sized optics, the 8 will out do the 5 on all targets. No matter what size obstruction the 5 has.