Anyone's comments on THEIR LASIK correction?

Started by rcordell, 06/16/2002 06:12AM
Posted 06/16/2002 06:12AM Opening Post
Just wondering about Lasik and how it affects looking into the eyepiece. I've heard that close up vision can suffer from the procedure. But there always are variables. Any experiences shared are greatly appreciated, both good and bad.

Randy
Posted 06/17/2002 04:19PM #1
My vision was 20/800 (!) and LASIK corrected it to 20/25. I'm happy with the results, even though my correction has weakend to 20/40 after almost two years and I now need an "enhancement" procedure. I had problems with spiky stars around bright object for more than a year, which has subsided. Make sure your eye doctor checks the diameter of your dark-adapted pupil. The larger they are, the greater the chances that you will suffer from optical effects (mine were 9mm...no wonder I could see so well in the dark!). LASIK corrects astigmatism, and it's wonderful to not have to select eyepieces for their eye relief!
Posted 06/18/2002 11:32PM #2
I've studied this a bit because I'd like to do it but read on the web that sometimes increased apparent 'floaters' (the tiny dark spots and threads you sometimes see looking at a blank wall) result after such surgery.

I have personally found that even the everyday existence of 'floaters' in the eye is a significant barrier in seeing fine planetary detail when the exit pupil of the scope gets quite small. It's possible laser surgery could exacerbate this. I have seen one for sale ad by an amateur astronomer citing laser surgery as his reason for getting out of the hobby. So I have decided to not do it for now, maybe wait for the technology to mature more and see what effects the rest of the population experiences.