NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Colorful stars in globulars?

Started by ronbee, 05/29/2002 10:20PM
Posted 05/29/2002 10:20PM Opening Post
Well, I've seen a few globular clusters now (many Messier and some NGC ones). But I've never seen colorful stars (eg. yellow, orange, red or deep red) in the stars that I can resolved through my 4" refractor. Perhaps some stars in GC I've seen looked light blue. In constrast, there are *very* colorful stars in some of the open clusters

Are there colorful stars in some globulars? If so, does anyone have a list of this colorful gobulars? Or perhaps only large aperture can see colorful gobulars? If not, can someone explain why are there no colorful stars in globulars?

Thanks,
Ron B[ee]
Posted 05/29/2002 11:04PM #1
Until recently it was thought that the stars that make up globulars are all Pop II stars, ie, very old, and all of similiar color/temp. This is still "mostly" true, but recent Hubbel stuff has shown new star formation fields in globulars. It is felt that this is due to some type of interaction of the globular with an outside influence, such as supernovae or merging with other galaxy or globular. All this is to show that there "normally" won't be much variation in color within a globular, and therefore your eye will tell your brain it is any color it wants it to be. There are always exceptions however.

Walt