Finding NGC7293 Helix Nebula?

Started by Jud, 09/08/2005 01:22PM
Posted 09/08/2005 01:22PM Opening Post
After reading about NGC7293 in September Astronomy, I was excited to track it down. Last night after a painstaking path of star hopping with my 12" Dob, I finally came upon the proper field only to be disappointed with nothing visible. Granted, the sky was about 4.5 mag (using ursa minor) and the Helix Nebula was about the same distance above the horizon. So I spent 20 minutes under a shroud hoping that it would come into view. NADA! Jane Houston Jones in her article calls it a binocular object. Is this normal?

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 09/08/2005 01:53PM | Edited 09/08/2005 01:56PM #1
That was exactly my experience last summer. I think it is larger and fainter than I expected; also, a filter would have helped. A good recipe is to keep trying because your skills are growing and seeing/transparency change night after night.

Dmitri
Posted 09/09/2005 01:04AM #2
Judson,

Use a wide field and a filter. It's pretty delicate and it is in a fairly open area. I found it in an 8" with about 4.5 mag skies. Without the filter it was a whisp and I almost missed it. With the filter, it was very visible and some of the structure on the rings started to show up. I really liked it.

I have to admit, I used manual setting circles. It was just outside the fov and I did a spiral search to find it.

Ed
Posted 09/09/2005 01:00PM #3
Hi Judson,

The light pollution is almost certainly your problem. The Helix is very large and has a low surface brightness. For this reason it is often more easily visible in binoculars than a scope. From a darker location it is actually quite easy. For example, from Oz, I have always found it a fairly easy naked eye object.

Persevere and try the OIII filter. Also, expect it to appear quite large. Many first-time observers do not realise just how big it really is.

Regards,

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.