Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Meridian

Started by Astronomer2b, 08/05/2002 04:36PM
Posted 08/05/2002 04:36PM Opening Post
Can someone explain to me what the meridian is and how i can find it? Im going to try drift alignment sometime soon and websites say i need to find a start near the meridian at about 20 degrees up.

Thanks
Posted 08/05/2002 05:05PM #1
Matthew,
As it was explained to me, the meridian is the highest point an object will reach. I have just started learning about drift alignments (Have done it now 5 times, with the last one getting no movement in both AZ & dec for 15 minutes) and here is waht I was taught (I will be general as to not make this too long).
This is for an LX200 mounted on a wedge.
Set the scope to +10 in dec and pointed south, then find a star (Moving east in ra) that is about 2 hours from it's meridian. Using an reticle eyepiece (I use Orions Microguide), watch the stars movement. If it moves up, I need to make my ra wedge adjustment to the right (Up-right). If it moves down, then I correct to the left. Once I get no movement for 15 minutes, I set the scope to 0 (zero) dec, then find a star in the east. Again, I let it go for 5 minutes. If it moves down, then I correct up in dec on the wedge. If it moves up, then I make the correction down. This is donw til I get no movement for 15 minutes again. I will then go back to the south and repeat step one. I've got it down to where I can get no movement for 15 minutes in both dec and ra, in under an hour.
I hope this helps.
Don Spencer
member SDAA
www.sdaa.org

Don Spencer
http://members.cox.net/ecdon/astrophotography.html