December New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 12/21/2008 01:27AM
Posted 12/21/2008 01:27AM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the December New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon will be in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2008 DEC 27 at 12:22 UT (06:22 CST). The first opportunity for North Americans will come on December 28. We’ve now moved into the half of the year that is more favorable for spotting a young Moon from the northern hemisphere than it has been. Although the best months are those surrounding the vernal equinox, i.e. February through May.

I’ve created a graphic previewing the southwestern sky as viewed from Chicagoland 25 minutes after sunset on December 28, although it should well serve most North Americans. Mercury and Jupiter will serve as nearby guides with Venus further off. The graphic can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Photos or descriptions of the December New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz
Posted 12/26/2008 04:58AM #1
Perhaps I will give this another try if skies are clear Chitown.
Posted 12/29/2008 11:47PM #2
Thanks, everyone. And now here is the picture from the following evening showing the Old Moon in the New Moon’s Arms 2.5 days after conjunction. Again, Jupiter and Mercury below are in the scene. It was taken from Arlington Heights, Illinois on 2008 DEC 29 at 17:17 CST.

Larger versions of both pictures suitable for wallpapers can be downloaded from: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Curt Renz
Posted 12/31/2008 11:47PM #3
Thanks for the kinds words from everyone, and for the fine additional pictures contributed by other enthusiasts.

And now here’s my capture of the Moon aged 4.5 days above Venus with Mercury and Jupiter (right) below. It was taken from Arlington Heights, Illinois on 2008 DEC 31 at 17:13 CST.

Curt Renz