Lightning in the desert

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Did I see the dark plume heralding the SEB come-ba

Started by paul.knight, 11/15/2010 05:42PM
Posted 11/15/2010 05:42PM Opening Post
Attached is a sketch I made the night of Nov 7, 2010. At the time I just wanted to catch Io's transit and shadow across Jupiter but I kept noticing a high contrast area that was distracting. I made a note of it but didn't think anything of it. Then i saw Christopher Go's image of the dark plume on spaceweather.com and thought "did I see that?" Does anyone know how I could confirm this--perhaps back-track the rotational period back to Nov. 7th and see if the dark plume lands on the meridian (which is where I have it drawn)? Thanks!
Paul

Attached Image:

paul.knight's attachment for post 52283
Posted 11/16/2010 09:36PM #1
Hi Paul,

In my image during Nov 7, the outburst has not started yet. The area was still methane dark. The outburst must have occured around Nov 8 (which is the last image without the plume) and my discovery image.

More info at:

http://alpo-j.asahikawa-med.ac.jp/kk10/j101111r.htm

Regards,
Chris
Posted 11/28/2010 05:00PM | Edited 11/28/2010 05:00PM #2
I tell you what, I was observing Jupiter with my 7" mak-Newt this evening, being blessed with very steady and clear skies for the last couple of nights, and I was seeing a lot of activity in the SEB area at ~7:00 to 8:00 Eastern time USA. Looked like several long filaments and the band was less muted.

Maybe something IS going on.

Jeff

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" 8O