Jupiter 2.20.03

Started by Sol R., 02/21/2003 06:00AM
Posted 02/21/2003 06:00AM Opening Post
Hi,

Good seeing conditions finally arrived after the blizzard.

Watched double shadow transit. The sketch captures Ganymede and its shadow at 10:07 p.m. EST. I saw 3 white ovals in the STZ. A lot of choppy "strings" in the EZ. A bit more of NPR darkening and SPR banding.

Sol Robbins

Attached Image:

Sol R.'s attachment for post 3961
Posted 02/21/2003 09:26AM #1
Nice work Sol!

I wish that I could get in some good viewing. The last time that it was clear here, the seeing was ~1-2 with horrendous small scale distortions plus large-scale waviness (like looking from the bottom of a swimming pool).

Greg

"Though parted by a gulf more impassable than any sea, the telescope lets us traverse what otherwise had been barred and lands us at last above the shores we went forth to seek. Real the journey is, though incorporeal in kind. Since the seeing strange sights is the essence of all far wanderings, it is as truly tavel so the eye arrive as if the body kept it company." Pervcival Lowell
Posted 02/21/2003 10:35AM #2
Sol,

A very nice observation of Jupiter showing much detail. You have captured an interesting loop festoon over the EZ towards the preceding limb. The shadow of Ganymede is very interesting as well. Please keep up the excellent work.

Carlos