My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Jupiter March 3.2003

Started by Sol R., 03/04/2003 04:59AM
Posted 03/04/2003 04:59AM Opening Post
Hi,

I was blessed very stable seeing conditions which aided high magnification viewing of Jupiter at 292x.

Most folks would consider this the boring side of Jupiter, but there were many interesting features presented tonight. I am not very good at calculating S1 and S2 timings, but I believe S1-94* and S2-237*

The StB was sloped. I noticed an oval on its southern edge. Additionally, there were light areas in some southern zones though I can't say for sure that these were ovals.

The SEB showed a southward pointing festoon-like feature just preceding the CM.

The NEB showed a festoon with a ribbon-like loop near the preceding limb. The most interesting feature is the bay on the northern edge of the NEB near the following limb. It was noticeably brighter than the ligh zone that lies between the NEB and what's left of the NtB

Sol Robbins

Attached Image:

Sol R.'s attachment for post 4265
Posted 03/04/2003 05:26AM #1
Sheeeeeesh Sol!

Superlatives fail me, all I can say is WOW!

Greg

"Though parted by a gulf more impassable than any sea, the telescope lets us traverse what otherwise had been barred and lands us at last above the shores we went forth to seek. Real the journey is, though incorporeal in kind. Since the seeing strange sights is the essence of all far wanderings, it is as truly tavel so the eye arrive as if the body kept it company." Pervcival Lowell
Posted 03/04/2003 09:43AM #2
Sol,

Congratulations on a beautiful rendering of Jupiter. You have captured much detail across the disk. The South Temperate Belt (STB) does appear to be uneven ("sloped") at certain longitudes. This may be due to, as you point out, the presence of ovals displacing the belt (actually the presence of alternating Jovian atmospheric currents (jet streams) interacting around ovals at this latitude). The SEB "southward pointing festoon-like feature" is actually a bright rift between alternating currents. You have perfectly captured what is known as a "loop festoon" along the southern edge of the NEB following the CM. You have also recorded a bright bay preceding the CM on the northern edge of the NEB straddled by dark barges.

Please keep up the excellent work. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos
Posted 03/06/2003 04:25AM #3
I usually "hang out" at equipment. I love coming here to read and look at everyones posts. Your pictures certainly challege one to "observe harder" - if you know what I mean. Thanks.

Sol,
I noted the equipment you observe with - 6 inch refractor with chromacor. I would ask you to read my Equipment post of today's date (3/5/03)("So, whats an APO like?") - as you are already using the equipment I am considering - the Chromacor. I would repost it here, but the post certainly belongs in equipment. You opinions and insights would be most appreciated.