M13 RASA 11

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Houston Star Parties/Dark Spots

Started by eyork, 06/18/2004 06:56AM
Posted 06/18/2004 06:56AM Opening Post
I am trying to build a good list of viewing locations/events around Houston (2-1/2 hour drive or less). This can include Star Parties (official or unofficial) or just dark public access locations.

For my fellow SE Texas Astromarters, what places would you like to share? What magnitude can you see with the eye at that location? I'll be happy to circulate the list once it is compiled.

Ed York
Posted 06/18/2004 10:34AM #1
Hi Ed

I would be interested in the list as well. I live north of Dallas and try to get to darkl skies as often as possible. The "Hill country" has some good skies and is less humid than Houston. I have been wanting to camp and observe at Enchanted Rock SP.

It looked pretty dark last time I drove through the Centerville area.

John

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX
Posted 06/21/2004 04:30PM #2
Ed, I think the HAS group has an observing site out in Columbus, TX. Only about 70 miles from Houston.

I have never been there. I am a member of the Ft. Bend club and frequent the George Observatory out at Brazos Bend State Park.

I also hear many go to Leaky, Tx. There are some cabins and camping there, its not a state park, but its near Lost Maples Stare Natural Area and the skies are nice out there

James