Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

If you don't mind...

Started by ccanelos, 06/06/2003 09:18AM
Posted 06/06/2003 09:18AM Opening Post
....help me out a bit with this fascinating hobby.

Tell me, are you folks capturing all these great shots in your own backyards or do you have to go tracking in the wilds??

I'm also trying to read up on and visualize the equipment you are using. Specific to birding/wildlife/photography? Dual duty for astronomy? This "equipmentally challenged" reader would love to see what you are using - along the lines of "Pictures of my birding optics" maybe?

Thanks,
Christine

Sweet the coming on
Of grateful evening mild; then silent night
With this her solemn bird and this fair moon,
And these the gems of heaven, her starry train.
--John Milton

Posted 06/06/2003 08:55PM #1
Christine,

I do most of my bird photography in my backyard. Lately I've been watching a Red Bellied Wookpecker use a dead tree in the backyard for a home. I use most of the equipment I have for astronomy as well as birding. There seem to be several general categories of equipment used by birding photography enthusiasts. The most common technique is to use a spotting scope and digital camera. The camera is either held to the eyepiece with the scope on a tripod or mounted via various adapters. Since there are so many astronomers on this forum, telescopes that serve dual purpose for astronomy and birding/ wildlife are used quite a bit in place of spotting scopes. Last, there is the group that uses top of the line digital SLR cameras, either with telephoto lenses or mounted on scopes. Film has fallen out of favor in many cases since digital cameras offer quicker results. Anyway, here is a photo of my setup for birding photography (Vixen FL80S refractor on sturdy fluid panhead and tripod with all other equipment attached except the digital camera)

Joplin

Attached Image:

Joplin Motisher-Chittenden's attachment for post 68158
Posted 06/07/2003 04:40PM #2
Hi Christine, I started with film and have hundreds of bird photos but haven't scanned any. I then used a Sony F707 for some of the bird at the feeder photos and just recently purchased the Canon 10D.

I have the privilage of living, where I work, on 640 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of sagebrush, grassland and cropland. Unfortunately, cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) is taking over and is ruining the experience. Years ago, a friend of mine was in the National Guard and his company needed somewhere to have a summer camp project and we allowed them to build several ponds on the property. So, all I need to do is walk out the door and all my posted photos have been taken within one mile of the house.

Cal