Cream: Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2005

Started by okieav8r, 12/24/2005 08:22AM
Posted 12/24/2005 08:22AM | Edited 12/24/2005 08:22AM Opening Post
I liked this DVD, with a few minor reservations. The crowd atmosphere was a bit subdued, and Clapton's guitar playing seemed a bit mechanical at times, but still sounded great. Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce look as if they've spent the last 30 years doing hard labor. Also, I wish that 'Strange Brew', 'I'm So Glad', and 'I Feel Free had been included in the setlist. Instead, 'Sleepy Time Time', We're Going Wrong', and 'Sunshine of Your Love' are offered as alternate takes. I think one take is enough.

In spite of these nitpiks, I still highly recommend this DVD. Clapton always sounds great (when doesn't he?), and Baker and Bruce haven't lost any of their skill on the drums and bass either. The songs have a fresh sound while still staying true to the original feel of the music. Overall, this trio still sounds great together, in spite of the fact that it has been over 30 years since they last played together. The camera work is well done too.

If you're a fan of rock music from that era in general, and of Cream in particular, I think you'll enjoy the show.

Rex Cox

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 02/13/2006 12:28AM | Edited 02/13/2006 02:04AM #1
Wow... talk about bringing back old memories. Agreed that Baker and Bruce look ancient, but man they sure can still play. Great camera work and I can't get over how well they performed after all these years. Claptons guitar work was awesome. A must see for old phart Cream fans... and newbee pharts too.

GG