Twilight Zone

Started by Izar187, 06/22/2008 09:15AM
Posted 06/22/2008 09:15AM | Edited 06/22/2008 09:18AM Opening Post
Recently started watching the original series. Begun airing in 1959. What a hoot! What writing! Maybe not each and every episode, of course. But the overwhelming majority of them are very very good. And its a riot trying to figure out before the end credits, who is who among the stellar casts from early television. Great half hour short stories. Some of the best tv we have watched in years!
Posted 07/12/2008 04:26AM #1
We've just been watching these for our family TV entertainment too. My 10-year-old daughter is totally into the Twilight Zone. And the original 'Star Trek' series. She was quite thrilled to see William Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 feet", as cheesy as the monster costume was.
Posted 08/01/2008 04:57PM #2
I remember watching the episode "The Eye of the Beholder" when it aired in '60. It was chilling and we were all screaming as little kids. I remeber my aunt said she thought they shouldn't air stuff like this at such an early hour because children would be watching. This episode was truly weird for the time, and even alot now. Other memorable episodes included "To Serve Man". Be sure to catch this one, I believe form '62. Also the one with Ann Francis in the department store with mannequins. Also, so many others.

There were also two Twilight Zone episodes centering around ventriloquist dummies that ere especially chilling. The better of the two, IMO was the one starring Cliff Robertson. However, here the true lauds must go to (the earlier and, I think, superior anthology series) "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". This series dealt with suspense rather than sci-fi or supernatural (with the exception of two or three episodes that did dela with the unexpainable) Catch the episode "The Glass Eye" from Feb., 1957. It starred Jessica Tandy (so young!), AND, yes, an even younger William Shatner (small part). Subject was of ventriloquist dummy but considerably more original than either Twilight zone episode. In fact, Rod Serling looked to this Hitchcock episode for inspiration when producing his episode with Cliff Robertson. It is wonderful, very stifled and stilted, I think much more of a piece of artwork than the others.

"The Outer Limits" (original) is a also a very good sci-fi anthology series. Not so quick to try and shock as Mr. Serling's fare. Hour long episodes too.

1959-'61 seasons also produced "One step Beyond" These were apparently based upon true experiences which made them a bit more poignant. These episodes dealt more with things supernatural rather than sci-fi, yet quite good.

For some reason, none of today's sci-fi, or similar, series entrance me anywhere near as much as these old ones.