Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Afterlife

Started by Glenn N. Smith, 07/20/2002 11:34PM
Posted 07/20/2002 11:34PM Opening Post
<< There is no evidence for it, there is no evidence against it, other than the lack of evidence for it. You must invoke the supernatural if you want an afterlife. >>

Well, of course, that brings up the subject of what somebody is willing to accept as evidence (i.e., what will I allow myself to consider as evidence?). And this goes back to our underlying presuppositions in the first place. For example, if you presuppose that there is nothing whatsoever that is supernatural, then supernatural evidence is ruled out from the beginning as being evidence that supports the supernatural. If you presuppose that there is no God, then all evidence for Him is redefined as something else because to admit it as evidence would be to change your basic presupposition. To change a basic presupposition is what is known as a conversion because it affects the way that you view all aspects of life. Our basic presuppositions are the lenses through which we interpret the universe in which we live. And thus, while you and I live in the same Universe, we live in different universes (if you can catch my meaning here). Now, in reality, only one of our universes is correct, or they are both incorrect; there is no way, however, that they are both correct.

And so, the evidence that we consider will be interpreted by our respective presuppostions. Now, even a more basic question is why we hold the basic presuppostions that we do.

<< I can't believe in something just because I want it to be true. >>

Actually, yes, you can. You can also refuse to believe in something because you don't want it to be true. For example, a person can suppress the knowledge that there is a holy God and that he is going to have to give an account of himself at a final judgment after he dies, and thus, this person can deny that there is anything else after death itself.

<< As far as judgement goes, I fear no judgement. >>

Actually, God's written word tells us how this actually takes place in a person. This may surprise you, but God's Word says that the lack of this fear can only mean one of two things. One of these 2 things is that God is judging you already and is giving you up to your own desire to be self-deceived. If a person doesn't wish to retain the knowledge of the true God, then God will at times give that person over to his own desires. This is actually a dreadful thing to happen to a person, though that person doesn't realize it. The process is described in Romans 1:18-32.

<< Is the reason you believe in an after-life because you can't face the thought of actually dying? >>

Actually, I know that I am going to die, as well as everybody else that I meet. I also know that I am a sinner and that there is a holy, righteous God whose justice must be satisfied. I don't live in denial of these facts.

Posted 07/20/2002 11:42PM #1
<< Some day my life will end. I will close my eyes and whatever it is that makes me exist will disappear. >>

No, you are wrong. This is a false hope, a self-delusion, so that you don't have to think about or face the truth. It is appointed unto man once to die, but then comes the judgment. I know that you deny this to be the case and I know why; OTOH, I am able to squarely face death and what follows because of the gospel of God. You see, all news having to do with the living and true God is not bad for sinful man; He also has good news for those who recognize and face their sinfulness. In fact, the word "gospel" actually means "good news". The "good news" is that God has provided a way of salvation from sin for sinful man. He has done what we could not do for ourselves.

<< The only other choices I have are to end my life or delude myself. >>

In all honesty, you are deluding yourself.

Sadly, there are those who do come to realize that according to their own presuppositions, their life is really meaningless, and they do end up committing suicide. Interestingly, God's word tells us that "All who hate me love death."

<< Without fear of going to hell, there's a lot of people that would behave very badly. >>

No question about it! See Romans 3: 9-18. The concluding verse (v.18) summarizes the ungodly, "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Proverbs 9: 10 though says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

<< Mark Twain was very likely an atheist. >>

He hasn't been an atheist for quite some time now.