Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

H.R.5175 - DISCLOSE Act

Started by lesshare814, 07/27/2010 11:20PM
Posted 07/27/2010 11:20PM Opening Post
I tried reading information on this and can not figure out if it is a good thing or what. cwy I thought FOREIGN NATIONALS were already not allowed to contribute.
Steve
Posted 07/28/2010 03:24AM | Edited 07/28/2010 03:27AM #1
It's yet another attempt to remove privacy and give favor to unions (among other things) and it must be defeated. It's another chip off the 1st Amendment and is also an attempt to circumvent a Supreme Court ruling. Plus the medias would be required to give the politicians "reduced air time rates". Can you spell "control the media"????

The President’s alarm was itself a red herring as there is already existing law, the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1996, which prohibits independent political advertising by foreign nationals or foreign companies. The DISCLOSE Act produced by Congress at the behest of the President should more accurately be called the “Shut Uppa You Mouth Act”. It goes far beyond addressing the bogus concern about foreign entities influencing American elections. The bill adds burdensome provisions on reporting and disclosing by domestic entities which will disproportionately affect corporations over unions. For example, corporations holding government contracts are restricted in ways that unions with government contracts are not.

Then there’s this–political parties must be given reduced rate air time to respond to “special interest” ads.

The legislation does not intend to shed sunlight on political spending. The exceptions are carefully considered to favor leftwing organizations. The extensive disclosure requirements will certainly have a chilling effect on the conservative grassroots organizations which have just found their voice.

http://tammybruce.com/2010/06/targeting-free-speech-h-r-5175-the-disclose-act.html

Steven Moore said:

I tried reading information on this and can not figure out if it is a good thing or what. cwy I thought FOREIGN NATIONALS were already not allowed to contribute.
Steve