Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5149 Cacoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)


Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Re Corona Virus: How come?

Started by daqua, 05/17/2020 04:03PM
Posted 05/17/2020 04:03PM Opening Post
The United states has about 1/23 of the world population, but it has about 1/3 of the documented Covid-19 cases.  Either somebody's not being honest in their reporting or we are really screwed.
Posted 05/17/2020 04:22PM #1
Originally Posted by Domenic Quadrini
The United states has about 1/23 of the world population, but it has about 1/3 of the documented Covid-19 cases.  Either somebody's not being honest in their reporting or we are really screwed.

Hi Domenic,

Honestly, it's both. I believe that the US is doing a far better job than most regarding reporting infections and deaths honestly. Even so, I also do not doubt that the US is undercounting both illnesses and deaths. On the other hand, it's certain that other countries like China, Iran, Russia, etc., are not reporting honestly. So, short answer yes, somebody is not honest, and yes, we are screwed. No vaccine on the horizon is going to save us. Even if we had a vaccine today, we don't have the manufacturing capacity or the supplies to make and distribute it at the scale needed. Even if we had it right now, it would take at least two years to reach even 25% of the population. I have read recently about some promising treatments and therapies that could be fast-tracked, but even Ramdesivir that we heard so much about a few weeks ago is turning out to be a bust. Indeed by now, no one thinks hydroxychloroquine is a miracle treatment either. In my humble opinion, what we truly need is a national test, trace and isolate protocol. It's what countries like South Korea and Taiwan have used with great success to control their infection rates. Yet, we don't seem to be any closer to such a program than we were five months ago.
Posted 05/18/2020 11:31PM #2
Oh.  The latest news from NBC says that there is hope for a vaccine within a year, possibly even by the end of this year.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Posted 05/19/2020 11:31AM #3
Originally Posted by Domenic Quadrini
Oh.  The latest news from NBC says that there is hope for a vaccine within a year, possibly even by the end of this year.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Oh, Domenic, haven't you heard? NBC is fake news around here. The only real truths you can get nowadays comes from Trump's mouth to your ears.

Besides, who needs a vaccine when you can just take the hydroxychloroquine as a preventative. Ask your doctor for some, I'm sure they give it to you since the large orange man occupying the White House says it's OK. He knows more than the doctors, anyway. And generals, too.  
Posted 05/19/2020 12:08PM #4
Originally Posted by Domenic Quadrini
Oh.  The latest news from NBC says that there is hope for a vaccine within a year, possibly even by the end of this year.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Early results are promising, and I'm cautiously optimistic, but this initial trial was eight people. Even if everything goes perfectly, it still won't be widely available until mid-2021 or later. I was glad to hear too that the vaccine Czar Mr. Slaoui divested his $10Mn in Moderna stock options; finally, someone in Trump's orbit who is ethical. The technique used by Moderna, messenger RNA, has never produced a viable vaccine either. So, good news, and as you said, let's keep our fingers crossed.
Posted 05/19/2020 08:57PM | Edited 05/19/2020 08:58PM #5
Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck

Oh, Domenic, haven't you heard? NBC is fake news around here. The only real truths you can get nowadays comes from Trump's mouth to your ears.

Besides, who needs a vaccine when you can just take the hydroxychloroquine as a preventative. Ask your doctor for some, I'm sure they give it to you since the large orange man occupying the White House says it's OK. He knows more than the doctors, anyway. And generals, too.  
Jim, I find your post quite incomplete. You failed to include the opinion commentators on Fox News (namely Hannity, Carlson and Ingram) who parrot the president, or vice versa, on his use preventive use of hydroxychloroquine. Shame on you. PS: I wonder if they're taking it too...Why aren't you?