My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The triumph of Green Technolgy Supporters

Started by DaveWagner, 10/18/2011 02:15PM
Posted 10/18/2011 02:15PM Opening Post
Well, well..

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/20111018windmills_stopped_at_night_after_bat_death/srvc=home%26position=recent

Just what will we do when we can't make electricity because it might kill some bats?

Oh, the horror.

Yet more examples of the silliness of the left-leaning "causes"...

Which wins? Bats? Wind-driven sustainable power? Why?

Discuss.
Posted 10/20/2011 06:17PM #1
I was wondering when this would happen, as windmill farms kill hundreds, even thousands of birds every year. Exxon paid over half a million dollars because 85 birds were killed coming in contact with oil or other contaminants on Exxon's own property. It is estimated that one windmill farm in California kills 80 Golden Eagles every year on average. The exact number of feathered casualties across the nation is unknown, but the American Bird Conservancy estimates that U.S. wind turbines kill between 75,000 and 275,000 birds per year. This carnage is, of course, politically correct so it goes unpunished. To my knowledge that windmill farm in California, the Mecca of environmentalist wack-o-ism, has paid nothing to date.

David E
Posted 10/20/2011 07:59PM #2
I thought bats navigated by echoed chirps, "sonar". I understand the concern mover the bird kills but a single bat death?

I suspect that this single bat might have been a Darwin award winner. I remember when I was a kid there was a big issue over the construction of microwave towers and the deaths of thousands of migrating barn swallows. Seems that the whole problem was rather blown out of proportion and so far I don't have a shortage of barn swallows at our farm in the summer.

I'm for adequate impact studies but some of these bureaucrats need to get a real life.