New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Ship mine ...

Started by AstroMart, 04/07/2018 10:51PM

Poll Results:

0 Total Votes
Posted 09/23/2010 08:25PM #1
Of course I do send things USPS, UPS and Fedex. If I offer something for sale on Astromart or am buying something within 200 miles, I try to pick it up in person. Most of the time the shipping companies do ok, but I do better delivering or picking stuff up in person. I've never damaged anything transporting it, but I can't say the same for any of the other choices. Also, the added benefit to going in person is meeting the people on the other end. It has always been a pleasurable experience and now I have an image in my mind whenever I see them on line. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this ordination of choices.
Posted 09/23/2010 09:23PM #2
The post office seems to do just as good a job as UPS or Fed Ex, at least here in Pittsburgh. Great for small packages and literally a fraction of the cost of the others. Both UPS and Fed Ex have damaged packages I received. In one case actually ruining a CG-5 mount. But big packages must be sent by UPS or Fed Ex though.
Posted 09/24/2010 03:14PM #3
George Blahun said:

Of course I do send things USPS, UPS and Fedex. If I offer something for sale on Astromart or am buying something within 200 miles, I try to pick it up in person. Most of the time the shipping companies do ok, but I do better delivering or picking stuff up in person. I've never damaged anything transporting it, but I can't say the same for any of the other choices. Also, the added benefit to going in person is meeting the people on the other end. It has always been a pleasurable experience and now I have an image in my mind whenever I see them on line. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this ordination of choices.

There is no one right choice. If possible, pickup is the best, not only do I get to meet the other party, most often we hit it off and spend some time shooting the bull... I have driven 200 miles to pick something up.

And for small items the Post Office is great and the price is good.

But I voted for FedEx simply because for large items I have had some bad experiences with UPS and avoid them whenever possible.

Jon
Posted 09/24/2010 10:59PM #4
FEDEX is the ONLY BEST CHOICE when NEXT DAY DELIVERY IS CRUCIAL.

I have tried many other solutions.

That being said, if delivery in 2-4 days is tolerable, USPS PRIORITY MAIL is an incredible bargain-!

Gene Cross
Posted 09/25/2010 04:25AM #5
A few years ago, my mother in-law tried to ship us a china set via Fed Ex...it ended up in a horse pasture a couple miles down the road. They actually threw it over a fence into a vacant lot because they could not find our house (or call to figure it out). Fed Ex is crap if you live in a rural area IMO. UPS has been good, though I think much of this is due to our driver going above and beyond. USPS does not deliver to my house, so.....I cannot say much other than for small items to a PO Box, they are ok.

It is what it is...
Posted 09/25/2010 02:28PM #6
Only someone with those kind of expierences would believe you Tony. We are also in a rural area.

On several occasions Mr/Mrs FedEx marked our packages down as "undeliverable" even though this address has been the same for over 40 years! (and findable by UPS every time)

In addditon a couple other times FedEx left our packages at other peoples houses that we have no idea who they were, and the driver had it marked that we signed for the packages personally no less??

Insurance is also an issue.

If you expect to recover your insurance money from USPS get ready for a 3 to 6 month wait!
Just ask how we know.

At least with FedEx you can recover your claim on a timely basis but UPS is KING when it comes to customer service, delivery on time and their insurance is MONEY.

Also having your packages handled by the shipping goriilas has it's risks.

USPS is the king of small UNinusured packages - Largest gorillas in the biz, throws all packages just to see how far they'll fly.

UPS is king of all large insured packages - Very large, somewhat discriminate gorillas - be aware some packages will be used for seating/footrests during break time - insure big and your package will make it in record time.

FedEx is like "duh, what's happening, er.....what just happened - some of the dumbest gorillas in the biz.

For the record we did have a package fall off the UPS truck once, being destroyed in the process. When they told us what happened we naturally thought they were full of it, but it actually happend and insurance paid off within the week.

Posted 09/25/2010 10:28PM #7
For me also, the "in person" experience is the best, and usually both parties are happy doing business that way. My second choice is USPS for up to 70 lbs. The price is always right and the service over the last 5 years has been super. Using Flat rate boxes from the west coast gets them to me in PA in 2-3 days and always in good shape. Fedex is safe, but very expensive and slower than USPS. UPS is just wrong on all fronts...High prices, damaged goods and takes a week from Arizona to PA.