My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Great World Religions

Started by Harry Drutok, 02/10/2006 09:00AM
Posted 02/10/2006 09:00AM Opening Post
Hi Folks,
I guess you know by my posts that I consider myself a Christian. I was wondering have you studied the great world religions (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.)?

I'm curious, from a logical standpoint did any of these make more sense to you then the others? If so, why?

I just ordered a course that will cover a macro view of each of these religions. The course consists of 60 ea. thirty minute DVD lessons. I'll admit I don't know much about any of them besides Christianity and some Judiaism. It should be interesting!

Thanks!
Harry
Posted 02/10/2006 11:44AM #1
[SIZE="Large"]GOOD LUCK![/SIZE]

[SIZE="Large"]D[/SIZE]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Posted 02/10/2006 08:11PM #2
Harry Drutok said:
I'm curious, from a logical standpoint did any of these make more sense to you then the others? If so, why?

Like CF buddhism and taoism seemed to make the most 'sense'. Partly because they generally embody a kind of mental discipline, that is more self-evident and somehow more philosophically gratifying than the old "save you if you believe this, smite you if don't" carrot-and-stick approach that passes for spirituality in our society.

The Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity & Islam are all related and share many of the same stories and traits. Much like old greco-roman religions, You get some kind of storyline, and a whole cast of characters with varying levels of supernatural powers ascribed to them (Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, etc.) - and a god that is frequently preoccupied with local middle eastern politics.

Taoism to me has a slightly more cosmic spiritual 'feel' to it and a kind of soothing vagueness -- almost like, rather than a belief system as such, much of it's more just a certain way of looking at things -- a certain point of view.

Buddhism seems a more practicalized, real-world 'practice'. Probably wins awards for being the 'nicest' religion in terms of behavioral discipline. IMHO scores some gutsy points for boldly embracing concepts like death as a natural part of the life cycle, to be embraced and not feared when one's time inevitably comes (in contrast to western religions that seem at times to live in utter denial of it, "you shall not die" etc.)
Posted 02/11/2006 11:58AM #3
I'll confess to being pretty laid back about religion. Beyond my traditional 4th Quarter Christian Church of Gainesville,
I must confess I do like Norse mythology. It's kick ass, has comic book tie-ins, and hymns by Led Zeppelin! grin

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 02/11/2006 01:43PM #4
Hi Folks,
Thank you for the candid and informative responses!

Harry