Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

now that we're all still here

Started by BABOafrica, 05/22/2011 08:21AM
Posted 05/22/2011 08:21AM Opening Post
I joined Astromart last December. Some one gave me the $12 I needed to register as a Christmas present. Since then I have asked many questions that must be typical of newbies--about collimating a Dobsonian and choosing the right eyepieces. Those questions have all been answered with a wonderful outpouring of willingness to share. (Thanks!!!)

And now my main point:

Being a Catholic priest from a very religious Catholic family--I am the oldest of 15 children and I attended high school in a Benedictine Abbey--I have spent most of my life DEEP into the world of religion. I certainly did not join Astromart to discuss religion. And yet, I could not help but notice, with a sense of awe, that the Religion Forum (and it’s attendant sisters-in-law, like the one created for those banned from the Religion Forum) are chock full of posts almost every day.

I have not done a rigorous statistical analysis, but I’m willing to bet a brand new Televue eyepiece on a wager claiming that the Religion Forum has more total posts in the past six months than any other. And if I’m wrong (and I lose that EP, which I don’t have anyway), I can’t be wrong by much.

It must mean something about our ultimate longings. It must mean that we are all looking for some kind of galaxy inside.

Some of us have a cosy little irregular galaxy lurking inside, like one of the Magellanic Clouds. Some of us have a galaxy whose light is entirely blocked by intervening dust clouds. Some of us have a monster elliptical sprawling out chaotically in all directions. Some have a ring galaxy displaying a peculiar beauty that only God himself might explain. Some of us a have tidy bar-shape spiral with two elegant arms glittering with blue giants and white dwarfs. And some of us have a high-red-shift Seyfert that is bursting with gamma rays while slipping further away from sight with every passing day.

I know this might sound like a Sunday Sermon. Well, given my “line of work” I guess I can’t help it. But I wanted to say it all the same. And I would add only this.

It wasn’t so long ago when we were not even sure that galaxies existed. Don’t be surprised that something similar happens in your individual life.

You may have no idea what God has created within you—how beautiful it is and how unlike anything else he has created. An island universe! It is there where you will find the secret of your existence. To use the words Jesus Christ spoke 2000 years ago:

“The coming of the kingdom of God does not admit of observation and there will be no one to say, ‘Look here! Look there!’ For, you must know, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Lk 17:20-21)

Peace,
(Father) Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 05/23/2011 04:12AM #1
Well said Joseph and thanks! The heavens declare the glory of God, but so does the microscopic and subatomic. grin
Posted 05/23/2011 01:18PM | Edited 05/23/2011 01:19PM #2
Joseph Babendreier said:

I joined Astromart last December. Some one gave me the $12 I needed to register as a Christmas present. Since then I have asked many questions that must be typical of newbies--about collimating a Dobsonian and choosing the right eyepieces. Those questions have all been answered with a wonderful outpouring of willingness to share. (Thanks!!!)

And now my main point:

Being a Catholic priest from a very religious Catholic family--I am the oldest of 15 children and I attended high school in a Benedictine Abbey--I have spent most of my life DEEP into the world of religion. I certainly did not join Astromart to discuss religion. And yet, I could not help but notice, with a sense of awe, that the Religion Forum (and it’s attendant sisters-in-law, like the one created for those banned from the Religion Forum) are chock full of posts almost every day.

I have not done a rigorous statistical analysis, but I’m willing to bet a brand new Televue eyepiece on a wager claiming that the Religion Forum has more total posts in the past six months than any other. And if I’m wrong (and I lose that EP, which I don’t have anyway), I can’t be wrong by much.

It must mean something about our ultimate longings. It must mean that we are all looking for some kind of galaxy inside.

Some of us have a cosy little irregular galaxy lurking inside, like one of the Magellanic Clouds. Some of us have a galaxy whose light is entirely blocked by intervening dust clouds. Some of us have a monster elliptical sprawling out chaotically in all directions. Some have a ring galaxy displaying a peculiar beauty that only God himself might explain. Some of us a have tidy bar-shape spiral with two elegant arms glittering with blue giants and white dwarfs. And some of us have a high-red-shift Seyfert that is bursting with gamma rays while slipping further away from sight with every passing day.

I know this might sound like a Sunday Sermon. Well, given my “line of work� I guess I can’t help it. But I wanted to say it all the same. And I would add only this.

It wasn’t so long ago when we were not even sure that galaxies existed. Don’t be surprised that something similar happens in your individual life.

You may have no idea what God has created within you—how beautiful it is and how unlike anything else he has created. An island universe! It is there where you will find the secret of your existence. To use the words Jesus Christ spoke 2000 years ago:

“The coming of the kingdom of God does not admit of observation and there will be no one to say, ‘Look here! Look there!’ For, you must know, the kingdom of God is within you.� (Lk 17:20-21)

Peace,
(Father) Joe

Good Morning Father Joe,
We have had a variety of discussions with some old favorites creeping up nearly weekly. As you've no doubt noticed the site is not free from conflict. However polite counterpoints can be found in some qualtity.

I have no doubt this Forum or perhaps the Politics Forum are the most frequented. You might add to your statistics; there is an inherent need to make one's opinion known. As Religion and Politics brim with opinions, it makes sense.

Not eveyone on this site is Christian. So, we get lots of differing ideas. Mostly all food for thought. If you like philosophy I've got an essay listed under Reviews, Articles, Philosophy. It'll be updated by the end of the week.

If you want to stand in between broadsides being fired, the No Holds Barred forum also has a lot of activity.

Oh, glad the world didn't end, but I do have a good contingency plan.

Steve
8)