My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Questions for Non-Christians

Started by Harry Drutok, 11/06/2006 07:53AM
Posted 11/06/2006 07:53AM Opening Post
Hi Folks,
I think the Haggard thread has just about run its course and I do have a few questions for non-Christians.

I'm genuinely interested if you believe in some type of after-life. If so, could you please elaborate. A heaven/hell, another dimension, part of a cosmic soup type dimension? If not, is it that when you die, that's it? Is there an after-life for animals as well? What do you think?

Thanks!
Harry

Posted 11/07/2006 11:51AM #1
When your dead your dead.
Bob
Posted 11/08/2006 08:27PM #2
>>>I'm genuinely interested if you believe in some type of after-life. If so, could you please elaborate. A heaven/hell, another dimension, part of a cosmic soup type dimension? If not, is it that when you die, that's it? Is there an after-life for animals as well? What do you think?

Thanks!
Harry
----

Harry:

I consider that the important part of the Christian religion is that of ethics and morals. This does not mean a literal interpretation of morals/ethics but rather a big open picture where we accept others for who they are and not judge them in our differences.

As far as heaven and hell goes, I really have little doubt, "what you see is what you get." When we die, the chemical/biological processes that keep our spiritual side alive stop and as an living organism we have ceased to function.

There is no magic in death, we go no where else, we just are no longer. It is pretty simple to see and as much as we would like to live forever, the obvious truth is staring us right in the face.

As such, it is important to recognize the miracle that is happening in every moment we are alive, this is the magic, the great gift each of us has been given. We need to use it with great care so that it is not wasted in wishing for that which will not happen.

Learning to live in this miracle, there are religions that teach us how to live so that we live in the moment, breath by breath, in the moment.

---------

Back to ethics and morals: Integrity means one does not need a reward to "do the right thing." I suggest this to consider:

You do know the difference between right and wrong, I know the difference between right and wrong.

Would your actions change at all if you suddenly discovered you would go to "hell" for doing the right thing by other people??

This is the true test of strength of character, not that you will get a reward for "doing the right thing" but rather that you would be punished.

In my world, it is simpler. My motivation to do the "right thing" is simply because it is the right thing to do.

Jon