Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Happy Halloween: Witch's Broom Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Value Judgement?

Started by ccanelos, 09/19/2003 11:39AM
Posted 09/19/2003 11:39AM Opening Post
I have noticed that every so often someone will suddenly mention that someone else (with whom they are arguing, usually) has no Astromart rating, runs no ads, or does not even mention astronomy here on this forum, and that therefore their participation in this forum is somehow suspect or flawed.

It is more than one person who has brought this up. I for one, have never looked up anyone’s rating, it doesn’t even occur to me. If you are one of those people, can you explain how this makes a difference to you?

And if you are one of those people, you already know: I do not buy, sell, or trade on Astromart and have no rating.

Sweet the coming on
Of grateful evening mild; then silent night
With this her solemn bird and this fair moon,
And these the gems of heaven, her starry train.
--John Milton

Posted 09/19/2003 03:07PM #1
"You gotta wonder why they found this as the first place to post in Astromart" -Michael C.

Well, i'll offer one theory... some folks "lurk" on various fora just to see what everyone's up to... (e.g. birding, nature photography, double stars... you get the point,) and drop in here one day and take an interest in the passing circus.

Who cares if they buy/sell/trade/have ratings? There must have been some curiousity about astronomy or nature, so here they are. Welcome and enjoy!

My 2 kopek's worth...

-mw.

-mw.

QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?
-Juvenal.

QUID RIDES? MUTATO NOMINE DE TE FABULA NARRATUR.
-Horace.
Posted 09/19/2003 03:16PM #2
I did see that portion of the thread and no Mike C., I don't wonder about it at all - I took him at his word.

I find this a useful site, even if I don't post on the some of the other forums, I read them and try to learn from them. This is the one that happened to suck me in. I don't buy or sell equipment here because I try to be content with what I have. I also like to see things first before I shell out what little money I have to spend on this hobby.

Maybe that person is not OCD and doesn't come here on an hourly or daily or even weekly basis. Or just maybe he didn't come back because he didn't appreciate being grilled about his identity or how he came to post in this forum.

(Now, if he would have signed off "sempre fi" that would have been different!)

Poetry, ah yes....

What sparks this recent proclivity
Toward poetic creativity?
Can blame be assigned
to some planets aligned,
Or to meteor shower activity?

Sweet the coming on
Of grateful evening mild; then silent night
With this her solemn bird and this fair moon,
And these the gems of heaven, her starry train.
--John Milton