My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

1st light Atik webcam/Albategnius shot

Started by Mike Wirths, 05/28/2004 06:07PM
Posted 05/28/2004 06:07PM Opening Post
Hi all,

Well I finally got my new B&W Atik instruments cooled webcam from the UK. I choose this as it would allow me to do long exposure shots on bright DSO's such as planetaries, as well as lunar shots.
Thurs night finally cleared enough to give it a test drive, but the seeing was atrocious, Jupiter barely showed the N & S Eq belts! Still I shot a sequence on the moon using a 3X's barlow on my 18" Starmaster. The sequence looked very clean, almost no decernable grain. The pic is a stack of 30/600 done in Reg2, captured in K3CCD tools. Its the crater Albategnius, right beside Ptolameus (I wanted to do it but the FOV was too small.). Maybe the next 2 nights will give better seeing, it sure can't get much worse!

cheers

Mike Wirths

Attached Image:

Mike Wirths's attachment for post 16282
Posted 05/28/2004 06:20PM #1
Mike,

That is a clean shot with very little noise alright,
looks very promising I hope you get some good seeing soon.

Thanks,

Wes Higgins
Posted 05/29/2004 12:45AM #2
Mike,

I heard a rumor that the atik cooled cameras had a light leak from the fan area. Did you notice anything like that? Also, any fan vibrations? I've heard a lot of good things about these cameras as well...your feedback would be most welcome!

Hope your seeing gets better soon. I had decent seeing last night, but now the wind is blowing like crazy...so guess it was a one night thing. smile

Paul Maxson

Paul Maxson
Moderator - CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System
Celestron C14, Mewlon 250, Orion EON120, ASI120MM, Flea3.
http://www.sunspot51.com