Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Having a hard time with jupiter

Started by brian11333, 01/04/2003 11:44AM
Posted 01/04/2003 11:44AM Opening Post
Looking at everybodys pictures of Jupiter makes me realize how bad mine is. I just can't get the detail that other 8" scopes are getting. any suggestions would be welcome.

Attached Image:

brian11333's attachment for post 2931
Posted 01/04/2003 02:44PM #1
I would say that collimation, focus and more importantly seeing need to be at thier best.

First, have you collimated with a star test... ever so slightly defocusing a star to the point of seeing the central obstruction... then tweaking to make the difraction rings concentric lke a bulls-eye? Second, have you focused critically.. perhaps using a crayford if your telescope has a lot of mirror flop. Third... have you imaged over many nights around 1:00 am or later local time when Jupiter is very high in the sky. The closer it is to the meridian the better the seeing is more often than not. You need excellent seeing. If I can't get a sharp image at around 300x or more I don't even bother with trying to image with my webcam... which in the upper Midwest is not very often.

These are a few things that come to mind off of the top of my head... I am no expert but have had a little success the few times I have attempted it.

Good luck...
Posted 01/05/2003 07:55AM #2
Well, focus is critical. But you are also limited by seeing. If you are focusing carefully, and just can't get detail, then the seeing is the likely limiting factor.

Ron Wodaski

Ron Wodaski
New Astronomy Press
http://www.newastro.com
Posted 01/05/2003 05:27PM #3
Brian, I'm having the same problem with my C-11 and an ST7 camera, I can't seem to get the detail that everyone else does, This is my 5th session (5 nights) tring to get Jupiter
It's really frustrating!!!

Attached Image:

Osterholt's attachment for post 64069
Posted 01/08/2003 06:23PM #4
Here is my first attempt at Jupiter this season.
Meade LX90 2x barlow
stacked with approximately 300 frames.
Had some trouble focusing, but the red spot does show.

Tom
http://www.geocities.com/tegwilym2/astrophotos

Attached Image:

tegwilym's attachment for post 64125