Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

ToUCam, Something not right

Started by mdedon, 10/30/2004 02:01PM
Posted 10/30/2004 02:01PM Opening Post
Received my ToUCam 840 on Friday. Loaded CD according to instructions. Plugged in USB, all else went okay. Problem is the camera isn't in focus. I'm not on the telescope yet. I can unscrew the lens and play with it until it focuses. This doesn't sound like the right thing to do. Should I return the camera or is this something everyone goes through.

When on the scope, I expect it will come to focus through the scope's focuser and that will be my primary use of the camera. Any comments are appreciated.

I plan to use K3CCDTOOLS, any thoughts on this or other image software.

Thanks, Mike...
Posted 10/30/2004 03:21PM #1
I have the older Toucam and that is exactly how it works. If you use it as a webcam with the factory lens, you focus it by screwing the lens in or out. If you use it on your scope, you take the factory lens off, put the 1.25" adapter on and use the focus knob on the scope to focus the camera.
Ralph
Posted 11/02/2004 04:50PM #2
Hello Mike,

what you describe is the only way to focus a Toucam, i.e. by screwing/unscrewing the lens. Once on the scope, you'll use the scope's focuser to achieve focus and all the problems of fiddling with the lens will be forgotten. I screw back the lens on the camera (740) only to seal the CCD from dust.

Ciao and have fun.

Luca

www.amun-ra.org
Solar Imaging Website