How to use Canon XS bulb setting???

Started by dhahn365, 10/12/2009 12:02AM
Posted 10/12/2009 12:02AM Opening Post
Hey all,

I have been imaging with my Canon XS now for about a week and have already taken some amazing shots with it through my WO Zenithstar 80 II stacked with an autoguided orion ST 80 on my Atlas mount. Now that you know my whole setup, how can I take longer exposures without sitting there with my computer hooked up to the camera and physically stop it at 3 or 4 or whenever minutes? Is there a way to tell the Canon XS to take "X" amount of pictures at "Y" amount seconds? It kinda stinks having to sit there and stop/start it every few minutes instead of setting and forgetting for a half hour or so. Any ideas would help.

David
Posted 10/12/2009 12:59AM #1
Are you familiar with the remote timer option. The Canon version costs around a hundred and a half. The generic is significantly less.

However, considering all things, it might be better to continue to use your laptop.

Alex
Posted 10/12/2009 06:17PM #2
I use the TC80N3 and I love it. Your setup is very similar to mine. I haven't ever looked, but there has to be some sort of software that will automate the process similar to what the TC80N3 does. It is nice to set and forget while I go observe through another scope for awhile. I usually do this for 90 minutes or so.
Posted 10/12/2009 06:34PM #3
David your XS came with the EOS Utility software that will allow you to program bulb exposures using your computer and the camera's usb cable. You can program the number, duration and interval between exposures. The EOS Utility user manual explains how. I believe the manual is on the supplied software disk or can be downloaded from Canon USA.
Mike