MoonJellies

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re-visiting some old photos

Started by phil426, 03/05/2007 09:55PM
Posted 03/05/2007 09:55PM Opening Post
I have been playing with some old photos lately while I'm trying to decide to buy a new camera. I think I still like the wide field of a 35mm. I know there will never be a match to digital imaging and the incredable detail that I have been seeing. But when I think about the process of film images like this one I wonder how much time is involved in the digital process by comparison to film.

This is an 87min guided exposure on E-200 with an 80mm f/5 short tube. The slide is burned in pritty good and scanned with a flat bed scanner. Considerable time messing with the processing software trying to eek out some details though - I think it could go on forever and never be satisfied. It is what it is.

But heres the thing, I set up for 2 1/2 hr then start an exposure, then I play with the rest of my scopes and enjoy the evening. When I use the CCD imaging equipment I spend the whole night messing with the equipment and very little time observing. Later the next day I process the film be it slide or color negative, at home for about 45 min and either print or scan or view them. Then if I want to process further I mess with the software.

It seems that film imaging is a simpler process but I'm attracted strongly to digital photography. I have been considering going to an EOS 5-D so I can stay with the large format and still ues it for pictures not attached to the scope. What have you got to say about that?

Attached Image:

phil426's attachment for post 36081

Phil
Kennewick, WA.
AP 152(old blue)on CI700 w/80mm f/11 guider, C-8 on forks w/80mm f/5 guider, 20x80 binos, ST5C, 201XT, Ricoh 35mm, 20Da.
Posted 03/05/2007 10:06PM | Edited 03/05/2007 10:07PM #1
Phil Holt said:
I have been considering going to an EOS 5-D so I can stay with the large format and still ues it for pictures not attached to the scope. What have you got to say about that?

A few months ago I was trying to decide EOS 20Da vs. 5D. But I could find
hardly any nice shots with the 5D. Not sure it is because it was newer.
I did ask one or two people with 5D how it was for astro, but could not
get good answer (nothing like "its super heres a great shot I took").
Something to think about. Compared to that, there are all these
knock-your-socks-off 20Da shots. Maybe situation is changed now?