Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

backpacking scope

Started by dguglielmo, 04/08/2009 01:36PM
Posted 04/08/2009 01:36PM Opening Post
Any backpackers out there that can recommend a backpacking scope (and not looking to spend a grand)?
Going on a 10 day trek this summer and would like to bring something other than binoculars.

thanks,
Dom
Posted 04/08/2009 02:56PM #1
Hi Denise and Dom

I'm not much a backpacker, but would something like a Stelllervue finder, aka SparrowHawk, at 50mm... Would that be rugged enough and gather enough light for your purposes? One of those little scopes might arguably be smaller than full-size binocs, assuming the selected tripod isn't too bulky in a pack?

I don't think it is waterproof, nitrogen purged, any of that good stuff.

http://www.stellarvue.com/f50.html
Posted 04/08/2009 04:40PM #2
Here's one inexpensive alternative:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.aspx?p_id=12143&store_id=2&did=1

These show up pretty frequently on Astromart classifieds.

FYI... astro scopes are generally not waterproof, so be sure to keep the scope well-protected from moisture.

Regards,

Duane
Posted 04/09/2009 01:31PM #3
Thank you to all that responded -

I am going with 11 others on a 10 day hike covering about 85 miles in the darkest skies of my life (New Mexico). I can offload some gear to others to accommodate the weight of the scope. I like the aperture of the ST80, the price isn’t too bad and I can use it as a guide scope after the trip! I’m going to get to a store to check out the weight and size!
thanks,
dom
Posted 04/09/2009 04:37PM #4
For true backpacking the overall system weight is the most important factor. I like Tom's suggestion of the monocular, but I would prefer a lightweight binocular. The advantage of either is that they would be easy to use for daytime birding, etc. If the binocular has a tripod adapter socket, all the better.

Otherwise, I'd go with the recommendation of the SV50 (or one of the 66EDs if you can handle the extra weight) on a light photo tripod. Maybe one of the other hikers is a photographer who would share his tripod at night for the scope. Dedicated photo tripod heads are not the best for astro use unless they're 3-way types that can flipped onto the side to get better balance. Otherwise get the lightest alt-az mount you can find that will fit whatever tripod you're going to use. The original UA Microstar comes to mind for this.

Jim
Posted 04/12/2009 11:21PM #5
I have backpacked for over 30 years now and when it comes to carrying any thing optical in the field I lean toward weather proof gear. I also do a small amount of birding and have taken my Pentax 65ED out and used it for Astronomy when backpacking. It is lightweight and mounts easily on a lightweight tripod. It come with its own padded tight fitting case and if you upgrade to the XL Pentax zoom or fixed fl eyepieces you have a great combination. Nice thisg about the Pentax spotters is that they take 1.25 astro eyepiece, so you can take out a cheap eyepiece when you think the weather will be iffy. I use a strap on Rigel finder for a finder.

Its a birder during the daytime, and can be used for digiscoping and then it is a telescope at night.

It gets used more than all my other scopes because of this. Next would be my TV76 as a travel scope and grap and go scope. The my C102F for planets and my 8" SCT for lunar and planetary imaging or binoviewing of the planets. For deep sky I go to my clubs darksky site and use the club 16" dob.

Cheers
Chase
Posted 04/16/2009 02:02PM | Edited 04/16/2009 02:04PM #6
After consideration and wanting aperture - I have my eye set on a celestron 102 wide field

anyone know how much it weighs?

heading down to NEAF to get a personal look and to see the wieght of a few - hopefully there will be some variety in small scopes down there...

Will bring a zoom ep and probably use a light weight photo tripod.

Posted 05/09/2009 12:48AM #7
An 8" Dobsonian makes a fine backpacking scope. Simply stop by Home Depot and pick up some day laborers in the morning on the day you go hiking... wink

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 03/13/2010 01:02PM #8
For a dirt cheap alternative, you might try something like -

http://www.buytelescopes.com/Products/15760-Meade-50az-p-altazimuth-refractor.aspx

I have a Celestron 50mm scope and--if you can steady the mount--the optics aren't actually too bad. The mount is simply super jiggly. The scope and mount are very lightweight and you can get .965-inch eyepieces from various places. It's too bad that the telescope companies don't get with the program on these types of scope. If I ran the zoo, I'd put an erect image 45-degree diagonal, replace the useless spotter with a rifle sight and provide a red dot. Then, I'd upgrade the tripod just a bit. I think they could provide a very versatile spotting/astronomical scope for $50. Then, I'd provide a catalog in the box and get people on the eyepieces and accessories. 8)

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]