NGC2264 - Fox Fur Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Big Bend NP in the Fall

Started by JJM, 03/14/2010 07:53AM
Posted 03/14/2010 07:53AM | Edited 03/14/2010 07:54AM Opening Post
Sometime after Labor Day we're planning a family get together at Big Bend National Park way down in south Texas. I have brothers scattered around the country and we haven't seen each other in way too long. This seemed like a good place to meet since none of us had been to Big Bend before -- my interest in astronomy had nothing to do with picking it -- really! 8)

Have any of you been down there recently? All dos, don'ts, and must-see suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Jim McSheehy
Posted 03/15/2010 04:55PM | Edited 03/15/2010 04:58PM #1
Hi Jim!
You will love Big Bend! I try to get out there twice every year...in the spring and fall. It is very dark out that way and the NPS is doing things to keep it dark. Take the biggest scope you can! It will be worth it.

As for what to do, there is soooo much out there that it's hard to narrow it down without knowing a few things. Are you all camping? What types of vehicles will you all be in? What are the physical capabilities of the group? How long will you all be there?

Answers to the above will help direct you to things to do while you're out there.

I will also recommend that you go to http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php
and try some searches. Lots of us Big Bend lovers hang out there and there is a wealth of info. Don't be afraid to ask anything there...everyone is very friendly and helpful.

You can ping me with specific questions if you'd like. I've been going to Big Bend for 34 years so I have a fair knowledge of the park.
HTH,
Bill (SA Bill on BigBendChat)

P.S. Pic attched of my favorite camp site in the Basin camp ground with a couple of my scopes set up.

Attached Image:

web0178230's attachment for post 136127