Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Am I crazy?

Started by lleege, 08/08/2009 02:32PM
Posted 08/08/2009 02:32PM Opening Post
I've been kicking round the idea of sending my Traveler to AP and have it painted white. Am I nuts? Would it hurt the value even is it is done at AP? Roland, is this even an option? I'm a sucker for AP White. 8O
Posted 08/08/2009 02:54PM #1
Luke Leege said:

I've been kicking round the idea of sending my Traveler to AP and have it painted white. Am I nuts? Would it hurt the value even is it is done at AP? Roland, is this even an option? I'm a sucker for AP White. 8O

Luke,

It's your scope. If you like AP white and AP is willing to do the job, why not? Perhaps they are simply too busy, but you'll probably get an answer to that question.

Hurt the value? If that is a concern, a "unique" white AP Traveler might actually have appeal to some folks. Of course I can't imagine anyone actually selling a Traveler, but that's just me. My wife says her first generation version is the last scope she will ever part with.

Clear skies, Alan

Posted 08/08/2009 06:38PM #2
I was very fond of the Cadet Blue that was used on some of the Starfires.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 08/08/2009 07:29PM #3
I bought my 130 f/8 second hand and the paint was well worn. I painted the refractor white with grey ghost flames and a light violet metallic clear coat. The result was a paint finish I really wanted and I didn't care much about resale. If I ever sell the scope the new owner can easily remove the paint and restore it to Corvette white. The glass is more important than the paint and I think hey it's your scope, really make it yours and not #??? of a lot run. I wish I saw more custom paint on refractors because they look so cool when a owner steps out of the norm and takes a chance. Martin

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." Shunryu Suzuki[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]