Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Original C8 Optical Quality

Started by tduweight, 09/13/2008 02:32AM
Posted 09/13/2008 02:32AM | Edited 09/13/2008 02:32AM Opening Post
Hi - figured I would ask you guys about an old C8 I "rescued" from an estate sale. It was in its original trunk and as new. Serial number 80312X. I didn't expect much compared to modern optics and coatings, but it was still spot on for collimation after at least 15 years in that trunk.

1) How old is this based on the S/N, stainless steel accessory mounting screws, no coatings indicated, and manual dec motion arm? (photo attached}

2) How good were the optics in these (typically)? I have to admit to being astounded at how good it is, compared to my C9.25, the only SCT I ever liked/kept long term (and still have). I mean c'mon...festoons on Jupiter without any adjustment after all these years?!

Attached Image:

tduweight's attachment for post 43691
Posted 09/13/2008 02:37PM #1
Mike Gibson said:

Hi - figured I would ask you guys about an old C8 I "rescued" from an estate sale. It was in its original trunk and as new. Serial number 80312X. I didn't expect much compared to modern optics and coatings, but it was still spot on for collimation after at least 15 years in that trunk.

1) How old is this based on the S/N, stainless steel accessory mounting screws, no coatings indicated, and manual dec motion arm? (photo attached}

2) How good were the optics in these (typically)? I have to admit to being astounded at how good it is, compared to my C9.25, the only SCT I ever liked/kept long term (and still have). I mean c'mon...festoons on Jupiter without any adjustment after all these years?!

HI:

Serial numbers don't mean squat, unfortunately. Judging by what I see in the image, I'd say "late 70s - early 80s."

The optics were generally very good, with the main way they don't measure up to modern scopes being in the quality of the coatings. Not having to adjust things after many years is a sign the optics were collimated properly to begin with. I would expect your 9.25 to be noticeably better if it is properly collimated and cooled. ;-)

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/