Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

1026's?

Started by JeanDorais, 01/05/2004 07:27PM
Posted 01/05/2004 07:27PM Opening Post
Just seeing if the 1026's have shipped or if there has been any sort of sign of life from BO...?

No longer on the wait list, just curious.

Cheers,

Jean D.
Posted 01/05/2004 11:51PM #1
"Just seeing if the 1026's have shipped or if there has been any sort of sign of life from BO...?"

Are you kidding? Bill is still trying to work out the details involved with reinventing the achromat lens. I believe that he already has a "working design" for the optical tube assembly and is on his way to reinventing the focuser hardware. Since other humans have muddled in this field he at least has a model to work from. Within the next year or so, he may deliver a no compromise 1026f (or not).
Posted 01/06/2004 04:40AM #2
The latest is from 1026 Update thread:

From Craig Simmons:

"Posted by Craig Simmons on 12/9/2003 6:05:05 AM

Here's an update from Bill Burgess on the 1026 from the Yahoo Burgess Refractors forum.

Craig Simmons
Falls Church, VA

Hello Guys

We have decided on what to do about the 1026. I received several replacement lenses but non were as impressive as the 1278 glass. You have three options.
1) Cancel the order. ( we will refund your deposit if you were charged)
2)Wait for the new glass. (We are making a new doublet using two glasses with abnormal dispersions) This will become the new base lens in all of our scopes. You
may even ask for a refund and still stay on the 1026 waiting list.
3) The manufacturer has sent us 100 of the original 1026 scopes. We can send you one of these scopes for $150 ($50.00 more if you want a case) When the new glass is ready just send me back the front portion of the lens cell and I will replace it with the new glass. These scopes work very well. You will notice that this is a $100 savings over the original price with case. ( The manufacturer gave me a very good price for the cases) Guys the new lens design is far superior to the old achro design. The new lens will be $100 or less. I know this will cause many questions so fill free to call.

Bill"

Personally I chose number option 3 with the case.

Jon Isaacs

Posted 01/07/2004 02:38AM #3
Just to let y'all know and answer the original question, Burgess Optical (a lady named Michelle) is now contacting 102F6 owners to officially list the three Options (BTW, Option 3 is now Option 1 and vice-versa and there a couple of other minor new pieces of information) and to get an official response from each. I just got finished looking at my notice. I asked a few questions to clarify things a bit but in the end will go with Option 1 (buy the scope as is now and get the replacement lens - used to be Option 3).

Michelle also stated that they will immediately ship the 1026's to everyone who picks Option 1. Seems as if their shipping is emminent.

One final thing: one piece of information wasn't so minor - at least to me. The replacement lens is a semi-apo designed by Thomas Back. FWIW (it sounds worth a lot to me).

Good night to all.

Mark Costello

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."