Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

178 APO

Started by Midnight Sun, 01/25/2003 08:00PM
Posted 01/25/2003 08:00PM Opening Post
Can anyone give me some "hands on" info on this 7" refractor. I have never had the opportunity to view through one. Have heard real good & real neg. feed back. would like to hear from someone who actually has one or is a former owner. My last 2 scopes were; TV 102 & MN-76 Mak/Newt. Thank you for your time, JM

Posted 02/08/2003 05:46AM #1
JM (& anyone else)

Feel free to contact me directly with any questons you may have. I have a 152ED and have owned it for 4 years now. I bought it directly from Meade. I've heard the 178's are either really good or really bad. I did a LOT of research on the 6's and 7's when I was shopping for them. I heard that the 6" scopes were much more consistant with having great optics... hence why I went with the 6". ...and because of how HUGE it is, I'm really glad I did! I'm not sure the 7" would have fit in my pickup truck to take to star parties. After colimating the lens correctly, my 152ED is SUPERB! I also have the LXD750 computerized mount. It had a little play inthe RA, so I sent it back to Meade. After a few months (!!) of them having it, it is VERY accurate now and I really enjoy the pair. I have it on a permanant pier in my yard. You may see pics on my web page at: www.nightslylights.com in the "astronomy" area.

Anyway, feel free to email me with any specifics you want to know. I'd be more then happy to help out with what I can!

-Geramy Rapp
Vancouver, WA
www.nightskylights.com

Anyway, I'd m

Attached Image:

spacegazr's attachment for post 64818