IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Lawsuit Settlement

Started by rmollise, 01/17/2008 05:44AM
Posted 01/17/2008 05:44AM Opening Post
In case y'all haven't heard, Meade has settled the RCOS/STAR lawsuit, promising never to use "Advanced Ritchey Chretien" in referring to the RCX and LX200 R again. NOW...contrary to rumors y'all may have heard, that does NOT mean they can't make the scopes, just that they must call them something else. I'm hoping this MIGHT pave the way for second coming of an RCX or RCX like scope at some point.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 01/17/2008 06:08AM #1
Thanks Rod, I did not know about this settlement, but I'm happy to see this thing has ended...

What I'm wondering though is, what's next? 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 01/17/2008 10:45AM #2
Rod Mollise said:

In case y'all haven't heard, Meade has settled the RCOS/STAR lawsuit, promising never to use "Advanced Ritchey Chretien" in referring to the RCX and LX200 R again. NOW...contrary to rumors y'all may have heard, that does NOT mean they can't make the scopes, just that they must call them something else. I'm hoping this MIGHT pave the way for second coming of an RCX or RCX like scope at some point.

That is good to know... From the beginning it seemed clear that they were not R-C and R C (Roland Christen) pointed out various reasons why.

On the the hand R C also said name or not they still could be good telescopes and I believe I saw that he owns one...

Jon
Posted 01/22/2008 05:03PM #3
Well,

Anyone think that since the settlement included the following: "Meade has agreed to pay a de minimus amount to the plaintiffs", perhaps RCOS/STAR will pass this windfall on to their customers in terms of whacking a couple of hundred bucks off of their 10-20K "non-advanced ritchey chretien" scope prices?

Me neither.

Keith

[COLOR="Navy"]“Heaven wheels above you, displaying to you her eternal glories, and still your eyes are on the ground” --Dante[/COLOR]