LX 200 Classic conversion

Started by [email protected], 09/26/2008 02:52AM
Posted 09/26/2008 02:52AM Opening Post
Hi folks, I'm new here and maybe this subject has already been beat to death. If so, I could not find any reference to it. Yeah, my 12" is old, but my optics are good. My hand controller blew a capacitor and burnt the flat connection cable inside the controller also. Thus, I'm on the hunt for another hand controller. Of course, Meade does not have any parts for it, nor another controller. I've posted the classifieds for another. I asked the Meade rep, who had no idea, about converting the Classic basic circuit board in the telescope and matching hand controller to a later version. Has this been done short of just buying a new telescope. Looks like you could just buy a newer version circuit board for the telescope and match it with a new hand controller, maybe autostar or something. Not interested in going GPS, but that is an option. Has anyone ever done this before? Circuit boards are easy to remove, but don't know if a newer one will fit in the telescope base. The newer telescopes appear to have the same coil connection cords/cables. If a newer version LX200 circuit board will fit, seems like I could just buy a new hand controller compatable with a new circuit board for the telescope base and essentially have a new scope minus the OTA. However, I failed to ask Meade if you could buy either of the newer items without buying a new telescope. I just expect they will not match, or Meade won't sell the other items separately, otherwise, everyone would just upgrade their OTA's without buying a new telescope. Just wondering. Maybe someone has thought of this before me and found out if it is feasible/possible. Thanks for any input.
Posted 09/26/2008 12:25PM | Edited 09/26/2008 12:30PM #1
Victor, I have never heard/seen anybody doing such a conversion...
As interesting as this idea is, I'm afraid that the project is a tough one due to lack of parts and/or price, not to mention that the parts might not fit, as you suggested.

Anyways, lets wait and see... maybe somebody has some positive input.

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 09/26/2008 02:05PM | Edited 09/26/2008 09:27PM #2
Victor Cox said:

I asked the Meade rep, who had no idea, about converting the Classic basic circuit board in the telescope and matching hand controller to a later version. Has this been done short of just buying a new telescope. Looks like you could just buy a newer version circuit board for the telescope and match it with a new hand controller, maybe autostar or something.

This would be a very difficult, challenging task, and would require ALL circuit boards be replaced for starters. More practical:

1. Find someone who has removed their 12-inch LX200GPS from the forks and who would like to sell the fork.

2. Put the OTA on a modern GEM (CGE/G11 and UP recommended).

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 09/29/2008 02:10AM | Edited 09/29/2008 02:11AM #3
Victor:
Another option would be to contact Dr. Clay Sherrod, at arksky.org. If anyone can repair or modify a Meade, he is probably T.H.E. man. He fixed my Meade classic 8" a couple of years ago and the skies have never been brighter through this scope. Consider giving it a try and see what he recommends. CS!!